Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd post to the group if anyone was concerned and doing any service on their power steering system.

I'm in the process of having Lee Power Steering rebuild my OEM pump, and decided that it would be cheap CYA insurance (20 years old now with some surface rust, and God only knows about those crimp seals where hose meets line) to replace both the pressure and return lines while I have the system apart, and eventually refill the system with RedLine Synthetic fluid. I didn't want to have to crack the system back open, and lose some $20/Quart fluid).

That being said/written, I looked around a bit at the usual suspects for pricing and availability. I first contacted my local GM parts guy, and he told me that they are no longer available thru GM, and that's why I thought I'd post this.

Both are still available as aftermarket items, as well as AC-Delco brand. I found the best price with shipping (Including comparing to Amazon W/Free prime shipping), was to get both as AC-Delco units from RockAuto.

FYI:

ACDELCO 36370560 - Power Steering Return Line Hose Assembly
ACDELCO 36367690 - Power Steering Pressure Line Hose Assembly

Just trying to help a brutha out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
More and more it gets harder and harder to locate all the bits and pieces our cars require to get on down the road. I cringe when factory well runs dry as the aftermarket replacement parts are so cheaply made!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More and more it gets harder and harder to locate all the bits and pieces our cars require to get on down the road. I cringe when factory well runs dry as the aftermarket replacement parts are so cheaply made!
Well in this particular case it's not the end of the world, as it can be (I assume, as I haven't looked at the availability of fittings involved) reproduced using AN fittings and stainless braided hose/tubing; obviouslly just a bit more work invilved with the latter.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
FWIW I bought the lines at Rock Auto and also was able to get the Gates "fill" hose also.

still running the reman PS pump

if it shiats itself I will have LEE rebuild it now that they are "back"

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
A power steering hose could be made locally by a hydraulic hose shop without much difficulty. I'd be more worried about molded hoses such as those for the radiator.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
juniorwatson, how much is Lee charging to rebuild the PS pump?
I'll update the original thread once I hear from them. I checked tracking over the weekend, and it took a little while longer than expected with USPS to get it only half way across the country, but they did receive it, so I'm just waiting to hear from someone (I spoke with Steve on the phone regarding this) after they do some disassembly work to the pump I sent in.

FYI, the original thread Bill Harper started is here: Lee Power Seering Has Re-emerged

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a general note, I received my two new lines yesterday from RockAuto, and I will happily give them praise in their packing/shipping department because the lines were packaged in an appropriately sized box with plenty of bubble wrap. They were packaged excellently, and arrived in perfect condition.

I got the Gates reproduction fill hose back when they were first available, and installed it when I put the reman pump on, so I'll be all good this time around.

As a note on the Lee rebuilding side, I received a call yesterday saying that they were in the process of disassembly on the pump I sent in, and that I should receive a call today with all of the details.

I'll update the original thread after I speak with Steve today.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
For what it is worth, almost all mid/major cities have at least one hydraulic hose fabricator. The hoses these places create are leagues ahead of anything to come out of GM, and they can replicate any line as long as you have the original - including the hybrid hard-line/rubber ones. More often than not, they're cheaper than OEM as well.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it is worth, almost all mid/major cities have at least one hydraulic hose fabricator. The hoses these places create are leagues ahead of anything to come out of GM, and they can replicate any line as long as you have the original - including the hybrid hard-line/rubber ones. More often than not, they're cheaper than OEM as well.
I agree, but for the price of $24 approximately each, it's hard to beat that cost.

I was primarily concerned with the surface rust that was on each hose's aluminum tubing section. I've never dealt with an aftermarket hose fabricator, and don't know if they stock tubing to use in combination with flexible hose where required.

Plus I'm using the 9C1 hose with the wrap around back-and-forth tubing that is supposed to aid in the cooling of the fluid.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Plus I'm using the 9C1 hose with the wrap around back-and-forth tubing that is supposed to aid in the cooling of the fluid.
That's what I did when doing some upgrades. The 9C1 PS Return hose was only $5 or $10 more at the time and seemed like a no brainer.

This is the standard return hose....

CARQUEST Power Steering 16MM Male O-Ring x 3/8" ID Hose 36094: Advance Auto Parts

This is the 9C1 (cooling) return hose....

CARQUEST Power Steering 16MM Male O-Ring x 3/8" ID Hose 37056: Advance Auto Parts

There are only a few other minor parts needed to complete the install of the GM Factory cooler. There is more info on this mod located here with all the details. It's about the 6th item down, the links don't work but just scroll down the list......

Impala SS Technical Archives

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Rear of pump

What is the part number of the line that attaches at the rear of the power steering pump? 4 pumps in and i've started rounding over the fitting.

Any part number (is it this>> ACDELCO 36367690 {#19147855, 36P15252} Professional) and how difficult it would be to replace would help!!

And the power steering return hose Do I get the one with the cooler or without?? I have a 96 BBB.

I'll do more research. (just trying to cheat and ask you guys at 12:30am!) Just trying to see if anyone knows from the jump.

Rob.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
What is the part number of the line that attaches at the rear of the power steering pump? 4 pumps in and i've started rounding over the fitting.

Any part number (is it this>> ACDELCO 36367690 {#19147855, 36P15252} Professional) and how difficult it would be to replace would help!!

And the power steering return hose Do I get the one with the cooler or without?? I have a 96 BBB.

I'll do more research. (just trying to cheat and ask you guys at 12:30am!) Just trying to see if anyone knows from the jump.

Rob.
That hose is called the "pressure hose" and the part number you listed appears to be correct for the 94-96 lt1/l99 engine cap/imp/roady.

How difficult? You said you are 4 pumps in so you've had that off the back of the pump many times before. That is the hardest part along with just getting access/visibility to the backside of the pump for removal. The hose then just runs down along the frame crossmember to the PS Gear and is supported at the crossmember with 2 clamps mounted to the frame with 10mm coarse bolts.

Whether you decide to add the cooler "return hose" or not is up to you. It is not stock for your impala, so if stock appearance for your Impala is a concern then this may not be for you. It is a mod after all that you can add that was an option on some 9c1 cars. The link I posted earlier has all the details.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Awesome Thanks for the info!! Yeah I've replaced that pump 4 times now but never took the time to trace out the pressure line off the rear.

OK I'll order lines w/o the cooler. I don't plan on doing any hard road coarse driving. Thanks a bunch.

Rob.

That hose is called the "pressure hose" and the part number you listed appears to be correct for the 94-96 lt1/l99 engine cap/imp/roady.

How difficult? You said you are 4 pumps in so you've had that off the back of the pump many times before. That is the hardest part along with just getting access/visibility to the backside of the pump for removal. The hose then just runs down along the frame crossmember to the PS Gear and is supported at the crossmember with 2 clamps mounted to the frame with 10mm coarse bolts.

Whether you decide to add the cooler "return hose" or not is up to you. It is not stock for your impala, so if stock appearance for your Impala is a concern then this may not be for you. It is a mod after all that you can add that was an option on some 9c1 cars. The link I posted earlier has all the details.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts