Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I changed my steering box last week because the pitman seal was TOAST (and btw it was a bitch with the ABS controller in the way, what a stupid design) .... anyway, in order to get one of the lines out, we had to heat the fitting at the steering box with a torch and move it back and forth back and forth etc until it came out. Presumably, during this procedure, the line developed a hairline crack, so now THAT is leaking.

The line I refer to is, I hope the return line, the one that hangs on the radiator support and doubles as the p/s cooler (I hope it's the return line, it goes from box to reservoir instead of the pump, right?) ... and presuming this is the return line, it's reasonably low pressure, and I should be able to run rubber line right? I priced it as only being $50 (not at the dealer, the dealer is horrible), but it's special order and I'd have to wait 2 days. Is it safe to use rubber line? I'm thinking it should be.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That is the return and it is ~ $13 @ Autozone, there is not too much pressure just alot of flow.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't that fitting O ringed? Maybe it fell off or was damaged by the "heat wrench."

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daves96dcm : note the PS return line is different on a 9C1 compared to an SS. I would expect the 9C1 line to be a dealer-only item, and I believe it is in the $30-40 or so range from Dal.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine was damaged on the 9C1 so here is what I did:

I used a mini tubing cutter to take out the center section that runs under the rad, then I used fuel line rubber on the "corners" with a long straight metal section under the rad. Used high pressure "fuel injection" clamps (although probably not needed). Works perfectly.

If you can, put a flare on the ends of the new metal so the clamps can't come off. Mine has slipped apart twice and made a mess :mad:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got mine from Auto zone they asked if I had a PS cooler or not, so mabye thay do have both? Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts