Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

Sorry it seems there is a lot of these lately, but Im at a total loss.

Back in March/April i started getting a few misfires while driving to work flashing CEL. It started with just cylinder 1 and 2. I installed the ACdelco opti from my closed out for sale thread and had no difference. I tightened all the intake bolts (oil leaks/ misfire "seemed" to get better?) and replaced all the gaskets on the throttle body--no difference.

By the time i took the car out of service for repairs, all cylinders were misfiring 1,2 being the worst (100's of misfires) and getting less as it hit cylinder 8 (maybe 60 misfires) in a 10 minute period.

With Covid 19 going on i figured i would address the misfires and of the all oil leaks (intake and oil pan) AND of course, "while i was there" i would install a GM 845 cam.

I installed cam, injectors (purchased from forum), timing chain, replaced intake, oil pan gasket, new Autolite 104 plugs, Taylor Thundervolts, new coil, deleted EGR and a new tune from Moe. -- still have P0300. all cylinders

I replaced b1-s1 O2 sensor, looked lazy --no difference. checked for exhaust leaks at cat, none found.
IAT and CTS both read same at cold start -close to outside air.

Tri-y's make compression test a bit of a hassle, but i tested the main culprits--1,2, and 3 all at ~200psi. noid lighted all injectors -OK. inline spark tester on cyl 1 seemed good. Fuel pressure 37 psi. vac off 44 psi --installed new filter anyway.

ACdelco 3.5"--cleaned MAF multiple times--The only thing i have found is UN-plugged MAF --no misfires!! no intake ducting leaks --plugged in a warm is reading ~9-10 gms/sec (tuned at that ?) and BARO sensor seems to be pegged at 104 kpa (high i think according to google search) unplugged drops to 10kpa --still has misfires. Installed stock tune pcm for testing--no change. plugged off vacuum hoses--no change. In open loop STFT 0 both sides. LTFT -9 & +1

closed loop has more misfires than open but not by much.

EDIT--cleaned all coil mounted grounds--cleaned battery ground to block.

Sorry for the long post, and there might be something i missed, but any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
One possible cause could be ICM. Generally the fail at operating temp causing a motor no start until the motor cools....but I have found they can also cause considerable misfire havoc

Not one for throwing parts at a problem but IMHO having a known good ICM as a spare is a good idea to rule it in/out as the problem cause

Then again it can be one of many wires involved in ignition system that has a fracture in it that is a needle in a haystack

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BALLSS, I knew I would forget a few steps I did....yes I did install what I believe to be a known good ICM. Also installed with heat sink paste from Best Buy. —same symptoms
Also swapped out Professional Products 52mm TB with factory 48mm —no change. Put 52mm back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the OBD2 pcm stop reporting misifes with MAF unplugged? MAF grms/sec drop to 2.50 (from ~10 plugged in) --no misfires. MAF wiring checks out ok. Should i be looking overly lean or overly rich as my issue? Bad MAF or other sensor? wiring? O2's seem to be functioning as they should.

LTFT -15 -13 maf unplugged
STFT -7 0 maf unplugged.

IAC counts warm with maf plugged in 65 unplugged 75

Opti wiring checked ok - opti to ICM checked ok. Installed known good opti harness

engine vacuum 20 MAP reporting 40kpa

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
How old is your gas? E10 and E15 are only good for about 90 days before they start to go to ****.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How old is your gas? E10 and E15 are only good for about 90 days before they start to go to ****.
Thanks Atlantadan, $20 worth of 93 2 weeks ago when i got it all back together....was misfiring before and after fueling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts