Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning my rims today, I get to the front passenger side, and I look at the rotor for a second, cause something doesn't look right. I can see an imprint of my brake pad on an exposed park of the rotor, like the brakes were incredibly hot or something one day when I left the car and the pad melted itself into the rotor. I had all 4 rotors replaced in September when I bought the car, I needed to, I could feel the warpage in the old rotors through some severe brake pedal pulsing, so I knew they were way beyond even being turned. I replaced the pads at the same time, but I switched the pads again in December with some better pads that make less dust and less noise. The pads I first had in there smelled like they were on fire after I had to panic stop once, so I just switched them, cause they were clearly cheap pads.

Should I be worried about the pads leaving an imprint on the rotor, or should I see if it wears off after a little driving? Is there a chance that driving on this rotor is risking my life because of a possible cracking or shattering? Its the passenger side front rotor.

The car does not pull either way when I stop, I tried in a parking lot, at 30 holding the wheel loosly so that it could turn on its own if it wanted to and absolutely mashing the break pedal and it didn't pull to either side.

------------------

95 9C1 LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm still worried about this guys, anybody have any insight on this.

------------------

95 9C1 LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike : I recently changed my OEM rotors with Performance Friction pads, for GT Rotors & pads .
Although the OEM front rotors had been turned once before, there now appeared on the front driver's side , the imprint you have described.
I had not noticed any lack of stopping performance, or other related braking problems. Actually, the rotor appeared to still have enough thickness in spite of the imprint , to be used longer. I just had these sitting around since last July, and decided to install them finally.
Perhaps someone who autocrosses regularly could comment on the possibility of shattering, but I think on normal "spirited" driving, it should be OK......
Good Luck,
Jim....always learning about these Beassts
;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't notice any difference in braking either, if I hadn't been looking at the way the unswept area on my 9C1 rotors are rusted, I would have never known the imprint was there, my pedal certainly still feels as smooth and firm as it did when I changed the pads and bled the lines out, and the car still stops excellently, I wish Ed Runnion, who I know knows tons about brakes, or someone as knowledgeable as he would give me a definite yes or no on wether to worry about the disc shattering when I stomp on the brakes some day to avoid hitting something.

------------------

95 9C1 LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, I can not speak to Impalas (I have a 9C1), but this is common on Corvettes. Unless the pad has rusted to the rotor, leaving pits on the rotor, it is no problem. The staining is generally cosmetic and causes no functional problems. It is caused by moisture on the rotor from condensation due to temperature changes this time of year and/or from washing the car. It will go away with some use of the brakes.

Terry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terry, mine is a 9C1 too, and I'm glad to know I should worry about it less, thanks for the help.

------------------

95 9C1 LT1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.