Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm changing my interior to balck using SEM products. my qusetion is how do i go about painting the steering column? is there a way to remove it or can i just mask everythin off and clean and paint it in the car as is???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dont feel bad im in the same boat as you i did mine medium gray but have this tan steering column thats out of place :(

come on someone please help us out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take the wheel off and take out the lower dash, clean and prep the area and tape everything off...
spray away with SEM
spray the wheel and airbag too(I put on a wheelskin too)
let it dry
put everything back together.

you need a wheel puller and a the intructions on how to disable the airbag.

its alot easier than it sounds
goodluck

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just did this exact thing last week & all of the options suck! :mad:

</font>
  • Remove the whole steering column from the car(I chose not to).</font>
  • Take everything apart inside the car (What I did).</font>
  • Leave it all together & spend even more time masking everything. (What I would do next time).</font>
I took everything off & out of the steering column, everything. Major PITA. Putting it back together was even more of a PITA. Not to mention that I broke the spring that engages the locking mechanism & now my steering wheel won’t lock, ever.

I think the finished results look a bit better than if I left it all in place & painted it, but not enough to justify the time involved.

Only plus is I know exactly how & what happens (or should happen :rolleyes: ) inside the steering column. :D

Martin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is a photo of the wheel and col. I sprayed. As you can see it looks pretty good, there are a few "boo-boos"; however a man on horseback would never notice. I say pull the wheel and spray the steering col. in the car.

here is the rest of the Dash, notice I took the center vents out and made them gray. very tedious but I thought it was a nice touch...

just remember to clean, prep, and check everything and everything will come out fine for both of you

-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I know I think R.O.D. is down? unless I f*cked up posting them, but not bloody likely.
give it some time
-Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so how do i disable the airbag so it doesn't go off in my face that wouldn't be a good thing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Landshark9c1: WOW :eek: :eek: My hat off to you my good sir that is a most impressive job !

i wanted to do my dash black too but i went with all gray then i put 2 fat azz cracks in my dash d'oh but wait i think i gained 10 hp lol

i like the bow tie on the dash that SSweet nice touch

kudos on a job well done

Justin aka lil sho ss

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To take the wheel off.....

1)turn the wheel so it is straight and the ignition is in the lock position.

2) disconect the negative cable from the battery

3)remove the air bag fuse from the fuse block

4)remove the drivers kick panel and remove the connector locks from the airbag connection wiring(there are two connectors, the one with the green lock is for the wheel airbag but disconect both conectors anyway)

5)unbolt the 2 retaining screws from the back side of the steering wheel

6)pull the air bag off the wheel and disconect the electrical connectors(remember to carry the air bag facing away from you blah blah blah)

7)mark the relationship of the steering wheel to the steering shaft so you can line it up on reinstalation; use a wheel puller to take the wheel off

remember to keep everything centered and not to turn the steering shaft

like I said, its a mountian made out of a molehill.
good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try scrubbing the steering column with some isopropyl alcohol ... I remember hearing that somewhere. Apparently, the column is black underneath and the alcohol is enough to take off the paint on top. HTH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.