Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I have been getting mixed responses on what is the normal stock key off drain for the 96 impala. I was hoping someone on here can give me a definitive answer or a majority vote at least.

thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The variable list.

I have a 94 so I can not help directly.

There are several things that would change the reading. The remote door lock module is a option that runs all the time. The type of stock radio may affect the number. The twilight headlight module is optional and may draw power.

The PCM, Air Bag, VATS, and ABS may draw power.

The cadillacs with the 8/6/4 piston shutdown (1980s) would burn out the PCM if battery boosted. The PCM would then run all the time and kill the battery in 2 days. I think GM improved the PCMs as this was the only car I know of with this issue.

If you are having a problem check the trunk light switch, alarm/starter/lock systems first. Usb/cellphone chargers usually draw power at all times not just when you plug in the accessory.

If you have a hidden problem unplug each fuse one fuse at a time. If it is a used car pulling the dash may show you a abandoned alarm/starter/lock system. I helped someone who had two extra systems patched in.

Can anyone add/confirm which stock systems draw power?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
if youre checking key off amp draw, 100-200 or so milliamps maybe more if it has electronics added.

the usual suspects for amp draw from memory are the alternator diodes, keyless entry module and the stereo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts