Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had my Fleetwood for a year and a half, and one thing on it has never worked, but I'd like to fix it..... the parking brake.

If I put my foot on the parking brake lever and push it to the floor, it simply pops right back up and will not stay depressed. I can tell that it will hold the car (just to check, I've pushed on the lever while the car was in gear), but the lever won't 'catch'..... ie: it just jumps back to the 'released' position and won't stay down (in other words, the problem is at the front of the car, not the brakes themselves).

Any others experience the parking brake not catching? Is it possibly a vacuum issue? I've never really looked into how it functions, but I figure before I rolled up my sleeves, I'd check the list here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Try it in Park. There may be a feature that auto releases it in any gear.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had the same problem. I figured out it had to do with the tooth mechanism. I bought another parking brake assembly from a forum member. I replaced it and it works fine. After I got the non-working assembly out, I still couldn't figure out the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
The ratchet assembly is not engaging the sector gear. You may have a sticky, or worn ratchet arm. Try shooting it with some WD40 or equivalent. The release arm may be bent or the cable end is caught on the wrong place.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.... I'll take a closer look at the mechanism itself. (BTW: this condition exists in any gear, Park or Neutral included)

appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same problem. I figured out it had to do with the tooth mechanism. I bought another parking brake assembly from a forum member. I replaced it and it works fine. After I got the non-working assembly out, I still couldn't figure out the problem. Good luck!
Was this tough to get at? How much work involved? I'm comfortable tackling anything, but it sure looks like it's buried in there!

·
Registered
629 Posts
It wasn't that difficult. I did it completely by myself, but a helper would be nice. I started by unbolting the top nut from the firewall in the engine compartment. There is also a bolt that goes from the assembly to the kick panel area (at least I think there is). The easiest way to remove the brake cable is after unbolting the assembly. Reverse to install. I would buy the replacement assembly first. Having it in hand gives you a guide. I think it took me about 30 minutes to do the whole process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got to it this morning. Took the under dash cover off and shined a flash light. Noticed the slack in the parking handle cable. The lever was rusted. Sprayed lubricant and back in business. Worked the lever a little and works like a charm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts