Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the last month my 96 RMW has started fine but the Pass Key light on the dash did not go out. This lasts for a few days through several starts then it reverts to normal behavior and goes out a few seconds after starting.

This feels like a prelude, so want to do preventive maintenance in advance of failure. My thinking is to visit some yards and pull the TDM (Theft Deterrent Module) from a junker. The 9C1 does not need a resistor key because there is a jumper in the TDM that disables the resistor pellet test.

Either before or after my Pass Key system goes kaput I can swap the DTMs.

Another alternative is to solder in a resistor, but have read stories in Search about that only being a temporary solution. Taking the route that GM used seems like a better solution.

- Does anyone know where this jumper is positioned?

- Even better, has anyone ever photographed a 9C1 TDM with the jumper in place?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I read some where that the pass key light staying on is an indication that the resistor is going bad in your key. Take your key to dealership and have them make you a new one (cost me $28 here). Worth a shot and alot less work then changing everything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> the pass key light staying on is an indication that the
> resistor is going bad in your key.

We have three sets of keys, one original and two duplicates which are near-new because they have seen very little use. Same issue with all of them so that took the key off my list of suspects.

Am not in the mood to change anything until failure occurs, but want to be have a solution in hand if it does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts