Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I did a search with "230 236 emission" and I found nothing).
Has anyone passed emissions (OBDII hook-up) with this cam in a 383 (or some other motor)?
Anyone failed trying?
What would be the minimum converter for this in a LT4 head 383 with 3.42 gears?
Or is this too big? (230/236, .544/.555 with 1.6, 112 LSA).
I'm considering the 503 (224/230, .536/.544 with 1.6, 112 LSA).
Thanks,
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Tim,
I can almost guarantee that ANY cam you put in short of a VERY mild over stock cam will fail Ga. OBD2 emsision testing. The problem is with the misfire code that sets with more agressive cams. Even if you disable it with programming, the code will still set pasivley, thus screwing up the plug in test. The thing that really sucks is that both of the cams I've had (Comp 502 and 305...both of which are milder than the ones you are looking at), passed through the pipes...but that is a thing of the past now with the states plug in testing :mad:
I am a liscened inspector..so it really pisses me off I can get my own car to pass. I have searched, asked questions, and been on various tuning forums to no avail. I even called the state and gave them a "hypothetical" occurance, their response was that the car was altered from stock...oh well :mad: :mad: Guess I'll just swap cams or engines once a year ;)
HTH, Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scott,
That sucks! This could change my direction once again. :rolleyes: Maybe very close to stock duration, huge lift and 125+125 shot...
Do you know what happens after you fail? You have to show $X receipts for "repair parts" such as headers etc. :D and they give you a waiver? Probably not quite that easy, eh?
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope...they will not issue a waiver on 96 and up for any reason !!! They don't care how much you spend, the only reason the reqire the repair form to be filled out is to track repair costs, and the facilities that do the repairs fo rtheir records ;)

If I find an answer to the OBD2/cam misfire issue, ya'll will be the first to know tho ;)

SSee ya, Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott,
That is terrible. I was not planning on having to swap cam and programming yearly...
Any idea what is the most duration you can run in a 383 and still pass the test? Is any amount of lift OK?
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott:

I was surprised you cannot pass the GA emissions testing. Then I did a search of your state's regulations. :eek:

It appears that GA requires *all* rediness monitors be set to "ready", regardless of the model year (WA state allows 2 to be "not ready" for 1996 model years).

From the web site GA Clean Air Force:

"The vehicles shall pass the OBD system check if:

4. all nonexempt OBD system monitors, as specified in the I/M Test Manual, are set
to "ready"; and ..."

I don't see any exceptions.

For comparison, WA state allows the following:

"(2) An exception to paragraph (c)(1) of this section is allowed for MY 1996 to MY 2000 vehicles, inclusive, with two or fewer unset readiness monitors, and for MY 2001 and newer vehicles with no more than one unset readiness monitor. Vehicles from those model years which would otherwise pass the OBD inspection, but for the unset readiness code(s) in question may be issued a passing certificate without being required to operate the vehicle in such a way as to activate those particular monitors. Vehicles from those model years with unset readiness codes which also have diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored resulting in a lit malfunction indicator light (MIL) must be failed, though setting the unset readiness flags in question shall not be a prerequisite for passing the retest."

Is there an exception in GA like WA state has that I missed?

Regards,

Ron Nelson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call Lingenfelter. They have two cams that are 50 state legal and CARB certified. I think the durations are 211/219 and 219/219, both with some hellacious lift for that small a duration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Stonebreaker,
I'll take a look at that 219/219. Now I'm really glad that I got the 4-bolt splayed, 4340 crank and 4340 H-beams :rolleyes: All that was way overkill even without a tiny cam...
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the link: Lingenfelter LT1 cams
Here's what they have:
74211 211/219 .530/.560 112
74216 213/219 .493/.502 112
74219 219/219 .560/.560 112
74220 215/220 .530/.530 114 (supercharger)
All lifts are with 1.6 rockers.
Tim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's something I am working on...
I took a 96 PCM and wired all the +12, ground and ALDL line up internally. I ran the wires to the outside of the case where i plan on adding a switch and 12 volt battery. I plan to put the PCM in a stock Impala and set all the drivability codes, turn on the battery power and remove the PCM and ship it to someone who needs to pass. Have them cut their aldl line to their PCM and tie it into my PCM. Drive the car in and have the inspection station scan that PCM and have everything OK. I need to get my hands on a fairly stock 96 but I think it may work.
Later,
bryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PCMFORLESS-KLR94SS:
I plan to put the PCM in a stock Impala and set all the drivability codes, turn on the battery power and remove the PCM and ship it to someone who needs to pass.
bryan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan your a very bad man!!!!!!!!
To add to your plan you should run about four feet of the ALDL brown wire and ground to a spare ALDL connector .
A guy could undo his ALDL, tuck it up under the dash and screw yours on.
Fish the wires under the floor mat to the "BRYAN SPECIAL" laying on the back seat floor with the dirty laundry laying on it!Maybe add a cigarette lighter plug to keep your battery pack charged.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bryan, YGM ;)

Ron,

Georgia does allow up to 2 monitors to be in a "not ready" state. The problem stems from the P300 code that sets. Even if you have misfire monitors shut off via programming, the p300 code will still set, it just wont light the CEL. ANY "P" code that exists in the PCM will result in a failed emission test, even if it is a tranny code (may be an issue for the 6spd guys ??)

Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.