Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
passenger side exhaust manifold has a leak on my 93 cappy 5.0. i got new gaskets but havent had the time to replace it. ive changed a few gaskets b4 but not one on a b-body. how long does this job usually take.

·
Registered
478 Posts
well it depends...I assume you have some broken bolts on that side?

With broken bolts it's hard to make a time estimate as it will require drill/extraction...or maybe just a pair of vise grips depending on where the break is.

If all the bolts are still intact and you can get them all loose it shouldn't take long at all to separate the manifold a bit and slip in a new gasket (but use new grade 8 bolts!).

Soak it in alot of PB Blaster and heat the motor up for a bit just prior to attempting to break the bolts...you may only get one shot at a few of them!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx man ill hit it hard tomorrow if time allows me. so i shouldnt have to take out the EGR stuff or anything

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you are just going to slip a new gasket in you can leave the EGR connected...at least I'm 90% sure you'll have the room (I did it with my EGR connected headers, which fitment-wise I don't think are much different than manifolds as far as gaskets/connections go)...just be careful with it.
If your gaskets are the felpro type that have the end bolts cut out on the bottom you can probably leave the two end bolts in a few threads to retain some stability and not put all the weight on the EGR hookup. This also helps getting the holes lined up again as well...which I'm sure you've found doing other manifold gaskets.

If you do have broken bolts you'll probably need to disconnect the EGR if you want to extract them. But if you only have one or two broken, and you can get the rest of the bolts out, double gasket it and tighten down...it should seal up. I was able to seal the driver side of my 9c1 with two felpro gaskets...even with the back two bolts broken off. Not the ideal situation but it'll work till you have the time to extract, throw on new heads, etc.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts