Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of cats has anyone else in California used and still been able to pass smog? Is I’m damn sure not gonna spend $2900 at Summit racing for the carb compliant cats they’re selling.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
What type of cats has anyone else in California used and still been able to pass smog? Is I’m damn sure not gonna spend $2900 at Summit racing for the carb compliant cats they’re selling.
Holly $ Batman, I see they are over $1k apiece

Back when I replaced mine, they are Magnaflo OBD2/CARB Cats. They were $250 each weld ins. The shop did not care they were 2 1/2" though vs the stock 2 1/4" size. LT1 Vettes had 2 1/2"

with that said I have never had a smog shop look to see if they were OBD2/CARB rated cats....and I get the full STAR station colonic test, no favors

Its really the muffler shops that have their nuts in a vice and don't want to install any CAT that is not factory/CARB rated CAT

·
Administrator
6,113 Posts
If you post your actual test numbers, we can probably tell you what the problem is. And it may not be cats.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you post your actual test numbers, we can probably tell you what the problem is. And it may not be cats.
No it wasn’t the fact that I was failing smog. I was doing a tuneup and replacing my O2 sensors for the first time in one of them was cross threaded and I had to pull my cat to get it off. But I brought it to your muffler shop and they use the tap set to read through the boss. I was just going to buy new ones since it’s a 27 year old car. But I’m sure damn sure not going to give Summit racing $3000 for some new cats.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
... damn sure not gonna spend $2900 at Summit racing for the carb compliant cats they’re selling ...
I was just going to buy new ones since it’s a 27 year old car. But I’m sure damn sure not going to give Summit racing $3000 for some new cats.
IFF your catalytic converters still work well and pass emissions tests after 27 years, cheaper to just re-install them, no?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
If the re-tapped threads end up being too loose, you could always just install another O2 bung as well...

Reactions: BALLSS

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have a set of Magnaflow direct bolt in CATs I'll sell for $600, I had them on for less than a year before I bought a set of Gen 2 Tri-Y headers and his catback system. These are California compliant for 96 Impala.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a set of Magnaflow direct bolt in CATs I'll sell for $600, I had them on for less than a year before I bought a set of Gen 2 Tri-Y headers and his catback system. These are California compliant for 96 Impala.
What’s the part number on them and do you still have the CARB paperwork

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Part numbers are, 448184 and 4481185. CARB paperwork gets sent in to Magnaflow but I may have a copy of it still.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The above Magnaflow Cat part #'s that 4X4high mentions above through Hottexhaust.com are a tad more than $700.00, shipped. The O2 sensors bolted right up, and passed the "sniffer" without a question , or concern. I had an additional bung mounted to monitor (R) fuel/air ratio for a minor fee. These are a direct fit, Kali legal.
If the OEM cats are functional, a new bung to replace the cross threaded O2 sensor is easy enough for a fraction of new cat prices.
Powertrain Dynamics in Huntingtin Beach tuned it , Steve knows what these old OBD II programed cars need to get their ponies! (And pass smog!)
Good luck, and happy motoring!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Part numbers are, 448184 and 4481185. CARB paperwork gets sent in to Magnaflow but I may have a copy of it still.
I’m might take you up on those. But I’ll fly up to San Francisco and pick them up myself instead of getting them shipped. I work for a major Airline so flying is free for me.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I’m might take you up on those. But I’ll fly up to San Francisco and pick them up myself instead of getting them shipped. I work for a major Airline so flying is free for me.
Let me know, they are in my container at a friend's house a few miles away. I can do you a little better on price also.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Those bolt in CARB are what you want if in CA and have stock exhaust. I have 2 1/2" magnaFlo CARB CA replacement CATS (weld in)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Let me know if you're still interested, I'll be over at my container by the weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts