Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they have modules that bypass the passkey thing. I also know there are 2 thin wires coming from the console wrapped in an orange wrapping. My question is, can you find out what the resistance of the key is, and buy a resistor, cut the 2 wires and splice the resistor in?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cant tell ya the resistance but up under the console you take a resister and plug it right into the wires and bammo instant bypass . I know it works because ones in mine right now .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I thought. i couldn't see spending 25-30 bucks on a system to do that for you. Next question would be what is the resistance. I assume that you could hook a multimeter up to your key and buy that impendance resister? Actually as I'm typing I'm thinking it may be better to hook the multimeter up to the wires where they unhook from the harness (that's where I'm putting my thing in, so it's reversable)and take a reading there, so if there's any resistance in the lines, that's taken care of. Any comments?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually unless you disable the current keyreader you can not just put a resistor in the line. You need to break the contact between the key resistor and the bypass.

The 553ESP alarm "I" have shows a VATS bypass with a relay. This relay is ONLY used during remote starts otherwise the relay lets the VATS system work as designed in protecting your car. If you bypass it permanently you permanently disable the VATS system which is NOT a good thing.

If you want to SEE their suggested bypass I can scan it in and show it to you but I would NOT bypass it permanently.

DEI has a resistor kit that has all 18 of the different resistances in it. There is no module to bypass the VATS system. There are bypass modules but they are for other cars...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the alarm has a ignition/fuel/whateverelse cutoff, I did not see the need to have both. Under the dash the passkey wires have a harness. I unhooked the harness, put the key in, and turned it to start, took the reading at the harness (steering wheel end) got a resistor to match, made a new harness for it, and plugged it in. It worked and cost only .70. best of all, no wires were cut, and is 100% reversable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so what your sayin' is, that if i go have a regular GM key cut for my car and have this little gizmo stored in the car somewhere; when i lose the only key i have left, i can still drive it? :eek: great, now i can really put off buying that $$$ spare key forever. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.