Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search and didnt come up with much. I was wondering does anyone have any pictures of one of these (SN-93) chargers installed? Also, does this charger require a seperate oil coller or are they stand alone units. And finally, is it required to use the ignition box that would have came with the kit or can a MSD6a or 6al do the job? Thanks for any advice....

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 94MI9C1,

So there no oil lines required on this set-up? Yeah my motor is down right now doing a custom grind cam, heads, intake etc and I have gotten some 30lb injectors for that set-up. I found one of these chargers for sale mid build so that why I was wondering if somebody had some insight on them because the owner of the kit doesn't. He basically has a charger, tubing, belt and mounting bracket. Whatelse is missing?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah I am not sure on the oil lines, I would think that they are self contained, sorry I don't have one installed, just did a little google search and came up with what you see above. Not sure is the 30 lb injectors would be enough for what you are doing with the engine and all but I am not sure on that one.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The added oil cooler helps the heat issue for the supercharger. If you have this unit then I would install it for the heat it removes and will add to the superchargers life.

You can run these with or without the injector plate. The plus with the injector plate is the fact it's controled from a the Pax-a-map fuel controller which uses boost. The down side to this is the LT1 intakes are dry intakes. The fuel does not turn the corner for cylinders 1 and 2 so they will always be lean or if you get them right your other cylinders would be rich. But it sees boost at part throttle so your dive tune can be pretty good.

If you tune the computer and get rid of the injector plate the positive is better balance with fuel in the cylinders. The down side is, other than WOT, you most likely would not have a correct tune as part throttle conditions because of the amount of time needed to get that right in the computer. With no boost reference for the OBD computers and 1 bar maps adds challenges to tuning by computer only. It can be done but lots of time needed.

Either way has it's plus/minus factors. A lot can be wrong and you would never know it driving the car. You could go either way and have about an equal result. If you decide to use the injector plate I have access to these if you need one.

Hope it helps, thanks.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Hey Jeff. Read this and give your opinion please. Ive posted it before, it's not mine. The only difference is I would add a rising rate regulator and plump for parallel fueling.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560089

It could pertain to this scenario. I know it says speed density, but I am intersted in what you think of the methodology.

Chris

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have never tried a 2 bar map on my setup so I really have no data one way or the other on if it works or not. The one thing I see everyone miss when trying to run an OBD on something with a lot of air is the MAF. As long as you don't max your MAF then you have tuning ability. The only way I have been able to do that was with a pedestal MAF unit. The one I use is from a 2002 Pontiac Firebird with an LS in it. You can recalibrate those, you can not change the ones that are sold as replacements for our cars, and make them correct for any amount of air flow. This unit from the Firebird is a three pin just like our stock ones used so it plugs in with no changes to the wiring harness for our Impalas.

Maxing your MAF just makes it impossible to tune at WOT. There is a lot more tunability with a MAF over the 2 bar map if you choose one or the other.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Missed your question on SD.

Speed Density is great if all you want is WOT. BUT if you want to drive the car it's tunability is junk. When someone tells you there are running SD on the street it's not going to drive very nice no matter how much time you spend trying to tune it. It can not do what a MAF can.

Just be careful when someone tells you "It's a street car" as you could drive a Pro Stock on the street with a little bigger gas tank and an atlernator. It's does mean you would want to drive it for any period of time due the to the ride, heat, comfort and all the other stuff.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The added oil cooler helps the heat issue for the supercharger. If you have this unit then I would install it for the heat it removes and will add to the superchargers life.

You can run these with or without the injector plate. The plus with the injector plate is the fact it's controled from a the Pax-a-map fuel controller which uses boost. The down side to this is the LT1 intakes are dry intakes. The fuel does not turn the corner for cylinders 1 and 2 so they will always be lean or if you get them right your other cylinders would be rich. But it sees boost at part throttle so your dive tune can be pretty good.

If you tune the computer and get rid of the injector plate the positive is better balance with fuel in the cylinders. The down side is, other than WOT, you most likely would not have a correct tune as part throttle conditions because of the amount of time needed to get that right in the computer. With no boost reference for the OBD computers and 1 bar maps adds challenges to tuning by computer only. It can be done but lots of time needed.

Either way has it's plus/minus factors. A lot can be wrong and you would never know it driving the car. You could go either way and have about an equal result. If you decide to use the injector plate I have access to these if you need one.

Hope it helps, thanks.
Thanks for the knowledge Jeff, any idea what type of oil cooler to get? And I'm thinking of not running the plate so are the 30lb injectors enough? Thanks again

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The pump that fits where the dip stick goes in the SN93 came with a cooler. As long as you have the pump then your in luck. I have a factory cooler if you need it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pump that fits where the dip stick goes in the SN93 came with a cooler. As long as you have the pump then your in luck. I have a factory cooler if you need it.
Ok thanks Jeff, I'm still waiting on this guy to give me a price on his kit... getting tired of waiting though. How much would you want for the cooler?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts