Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to send my ECM to Alex @ PCMperformance.com for these tunes,delete AIR,Power tune for 87 octane,tune out rear O2's,tune out VATS,firm or hard shifts. Have any of us tuned out the VATS? Is it a good idea? I just see the potential for future problems.How much difference is between firm @ hard shifts,any recomendations? Did tuning out rear O's help? Looking for saving $ on having to buy 4 O2's, Want to get Clear Image export pipes to save $ on cat replacement.Any one done this? In Washington the emissions test is done through the data plug under dash,would these cause me to fail? My car iSS '96 SS stock save for [email protected] FIPK,and Edelbrock cat back and one of these silly [email protected] in line shift improver things. Car has 70,000 and is used when I want too as I have othe rigs for daily use.Has Oem opti(no problems,yet),plugs,wires,O2's and still has the AIR pump

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
How do you plan to run without CATs and pass emissions? It's a federal offense to remove them. If you have original wires on a 14 year old car, they need to be changed regardless of the mileage. Alex is at PCMperformance.com not PCMforless. Ask him about your tune questions so that the tune will fit your purposes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx tryng to gather info,seems cheaper to run export pipes,than buy new or replacment cats,they do not look under car,if tune out rear O2's and still have fronts how does emmission know? have seen this car he runs clear image export pipes,thanx for the clarification on the right pcm company.this car i found om car domain
Kamchief’s Chevrolet Impala
“The BeaSSt”

yes the wire do need to be changed for sure,need all the input i can get when it comes to dropping $ on car as we all know $ are tight right now

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
"how does emmission know? "

They look.

You will gain no performance from deleting them. How often do you think they need to be replaced? Spending money doing things that neither improve performance nor durability is wasting money and effort in my opinion. The AIR disable/removal makes access easier which seems like a good idea. The CAI and performance tune are worth doing. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CAI ? not sure what this is...was thinking after looking at prices of cats and age of car seems they will need attention soon....the clear image export pipes are way less expensive than new cats,whether universal or oem(high $) or something like random tech parts( lots of $ ) makes export pipes seem like a viable alternative at less than 200$ with O2 bungs already in place...in Washington I dont even think we get a tail pipe sniffer just plug in data link connector and a gas cap check,they dont look under hood or under car...correct me if I'm wrong... I value all input and disregard none of it....thank you

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Cold Air Intake = the K & N setup you plan to use.

I have over 200,000 on original CATs. Not worth messing with at 70,000 or even 100,000. Do other things with your money.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
CAI ? not sure what this is...was thinking after looking at prices of cats and age of car seems they will need attention soon....the clear image export pipes are way less expensive than new cats,whether universal or oem(high $) or something like random tech parts( lots of $ ) makes export pipes seem like a viable alternative at less than 200$ with O2 bungs already in place...in Washington I dont even think we get a tail pipe sniffer just plug in data link connector and a gas cap check,they dont look under hood or under car...correct me if I'm wrong... I value all input and disregard none of it....thank you
All the info given you is valid. Contact your emission tester and ask them about no cats.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ,fbi9C1...CAI.... a little slow on the uptake..I already have the K&N FIPK...Granpas wagon...thanx...like as little cotnact as possible with Emissions revenue generating station...200,000 miles on OE cats the is encouraging...read on other forums of members cats going out and getting red hot....must be from other problems upstream from cats you guys who post back make this a worthy forum...some forums this post just sat...no responses...THANX

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Do a lot of reading on this forum - a wealth of good info. See the stickys at top of sections. One thing you can delete and not affect emissions is the air pump and all the junk with it. You'll have a much neater engine bay. Do this BEFORE your PCM tune because a 96 only will throw a code. Tell your tuner you did the delete. If you do the delete later, you will have to get another retune. In fact, do all your maintenance before the tune. If I were you, minimum: New AC plugs and wires, new Delco only front 02 sensors, new cap and rotor, check opti vent harness. BTW, I have 195K on an original 1987 cat on a Honda. Passed 12 tough CA smog tests so far.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Up here in Washington we have absolutely NO visual inspection on emission testing. You only have testing depending on where your address is. Up here it is strictly a revenue scam.

My car has passed with flying colors with a stroker, cam & heads, headers, no cats with a blower. And it's a 96. One time I even had to test on the rollers like the pre 95 cars because they where having problems with there system. And my car came out as clean as a new car.

It all comes down to the tune. You will have no problems passing with your plans as long as you get a tune for the mods.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SSsleeping beauty....thanx for the info!!!! where in washington do you reside...do you know of any places I can drive to to get ecm tuned as opposed to sending across country?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SSsleepingbeauty thanx for the link.....I ordered a 95 DGGM in 01/95 was stolen 8/99 have had this '96SS since.I dont drive it because I have to,only when I want to. It has 70,000 miles and the OEM opti,wires,plugs.O2's....have purchased MSD wires and a Autolite APP106 double platinum plugs for a start....this forum rocks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts