Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys ,
I`ll post this here Since it is performance related....
Who can tell me why aftermarket Header Gaskets are smaller than the ports on the Heads as well as most headers? The Stock OEM steel gaskets have "Large openings" More than enough say for the Tri-y`s headers I have and also the LE2 Heads I got back from Llyod...

The Felpros and copper Gaskets plus others have smaller openings and one has to open the gaskets up to match the openings either in the heads or the headers or both. IN height and width...

For example the Tri-y headers are 1/4 of an inch in height smaller than the the Stock OEM Steel Gaskets lots of opening space same for the heads,
But the coppers are smaller as well as the Felpros, So one has to open them up abit as much as 100/1000...But the Stock Steel Gaskets are like a 1/4 inch higher and more than wide enough for the Headers or the Alum LE2 heads???

Now you take 8 cyls. having restricted exhaust flow all adds up...
The felros and some coppers I had to take as much as 100/1000 in height and 50/1000 in width on each side, just to match the header openings etc...
OH please don`t move this post to exhaust I think one wd. get more replies here than under Exhaust as I have posted there in another post similar but no repies Thanks

Hope this makes sense to ya all???

[ 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Hogs ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't know why the others don't match well, but the Earles Pressure Master header gaskets that I use perfectly match my LE2 ported Trick Flow heads with no clearancing of the gasket required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot for that Info,.. I appreciate that...
So the Earl`s were more than tall and wide enough thats good to know....
Anyone else ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just compared a set of earls D ports to the stock style fel pro's, and the fel pro ports are quite a bit smaller. and you can see the fel pro covers part of the port. not much, but still some. Maybe 1/16" - 1/8" difference on every side. plus, wih the felpros, your gonna need to drill a few holes for some of the header bolts.

I was surprised at the difference. I forget which PN I used, but it was the one dwayne recamended.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do a search on "Earles" in the exhaust section, you can find the correct part number quickly. I know that it has been posted there several times within the last year of so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Used Earl's Presure masters cost a tad more but way worth it held together during assembly and have not leaked nor needed re-torquing - my 2cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.