Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if my 1996 Caprice LT1 with 109,638 miles would be lacking power from the high mileage? I mean me and my buddy tried to chirp up the tires and we couldnt even do that, could it be from the posi traction gripping? he thought it could be my disc brakes or my tranny is weak. It still has the stock 4l60e in it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Joey.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Do you know the maintenance history of the car, or have you done any lately?

This is a vague question at face value; has the power degraded from what it once was; IE did it used to "chirp up" the tires previously and now it won't?

IMO 109,638 isn't bad at all on these cars. Nowadays I take into account the fact that our cars are at least 14 years old, along with the mileage figure.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the maintenance history of the car, or have you done any lately?

This is a vague question at face value; has the power degraded from what it once was; IE did it used to "chirp up" the tires previously and now it won't?

IMO 109,638 isn't bad at all on these cars. Nowadays I take into account the fact that our cars are at least 14 years old, along with the mileage figure.
I have no idea about the history, I'm going to run a carfax history on it when I get some money. I don't even have insurance on the car yet.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It most likely would benefit from a new set of spark plug wires and spark plugs if they look ancient. If you can bend a plug wire and see small cracks in the insulation (ancient!), Id start there.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
That mileage is low for these engines and it should have plenty of life. It probably needs plugs and wires for a starter along with some other basic maintenance as mentioned above. What sort of Caprice is it? What are the rear-end gears? Are you sure it's an LT-1? Don't take advice from your "buddies" regarding the car, take advice from people here on the forum.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That mileage is low for these engines and it should have plenty of life. It probably needs plugs and wires for a starter along with some other basic maintenance as mentioned above. What sort of Caprice is it? What are the rear-end gears? Are you sure it's an LT-1? Don't take advice from your "buddies" regarding the car, take advice from people here on the forum.
It's a ex cop car, it has the blue interior with the dual spotlight holes on the doors and the trunk switch was relocated by the left hand side of the dash, and it has dual exhaust, you can tell by the sound it's a LT1 and my buddy is suicideride93 on here he has a caprice of his own, he got me into the cars.

btw how much mileage can these engines handle?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
It's a ex cop car, it has the blue interior with the dual spotlight holes on the doors and the trunk switch was relocated by the left hand side of the dash, and it has dual exhaust, you can tell by the sound it's a LT1 and my buddy is suicideride93 on here he has a caprice of his own, he got me into the cars.

btw how much mileage can these engines handle?
Well cared for, an LT1 will go 250,000 or more miles. I will disagree that you can 'tell by the sound' that it's an LT1. I much prefer to look at the SPID label on the trunk lid and find LT1, or look for 'P' in the 8th digit of the VIN. The L99 4.3L V8 was the standard engine for the 9C1, the LT1 was optional.

Like others have said, perform any maintenance work that may be needed, check/change all fluids, and then see how the car performs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well cared for, an LT1 will go 250,000 or more miles. I will disagree that you can 'tell by the sound' that it's an LT1. I much prefer to look at the SPID label on the trunk lid and find LT1, or look for 'P' in the 8th digit of the VIN. The L99 4.3L V8 was the standard engine for the 9C1, the LT1 was optional.

Like others have said, perform any maintenance work that may be needed, check/change all fluids, and then see how the car performs.
Yeah we checked the vin the day I bought it, the 8th digit is a P and the SPID label in the trunk says LT1

·
Registered
981 Posts
IDK about your car, but I can still spin the tires on my Impala after 210K+.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts