Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these pads get quieter with age? I just installed the carbon metallic pads and slotted rotors all the way around and these things are loud. :( Did I do something wrong or is that the way it is? I haven't bedded them yet so maybe that will help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did the same on my 94 with irotors and PF pads.
I have no noise whatsoever.
strange!.
The only thing I could suggest is make sure you bent the ears on the front pads so they are tight in the caliper.
The other is to check all calipers that they slide easily on their pins.
When one of my rear caliper bolts froze, it caused an awful squeal.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine squeel kinda bad when I'm just slowing down a bit, if I'm very light, or kinda hard on the pedal they are quiet.

Oddly enough, they tend to squeal more when people are around lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is more of a grinding noise not a squeal. It just doesn't sound right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also just installed these pads on the rear of my 96 SS after turning the rotors. I think I know what your problem is. The outside pad has a noise clip on the end of it, and the caliper has a piece of metal that goes into the top of it that limits the travel of the outside brake pad, the piece of metal looks like an elongated H. Make sure that the middle bar in the "H" is limiting the travel of the outside pad, not the inside. Something is definetly wrong if the pads are loud =) Good Luck.

-Matt Norris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I pulled all of the wheels and took a look. The spring shim on the rear that Matt referred to was in wrong but it had been in that way for at least three years(I purchased car in March of 2000), thanks Matt! I ran the car on jack stands and the rear brakes are not making any noise. I then clinched the outer front pads, do all cars require this? I have never done that before but it makes perfect sense, thanks Ron! I still have a grinding noise that seems to come from the right front when the brakes are applied but it is starting to rain so I'll have to inspect some more tomorrow. One thing that is bothering me is that when I removed the original front pads there wasn't a spring clip to hold the inside pad to the piston(missing for at least three years). I stopped by my local Mr. Badwrench today but they didn't have any. Shouldn't this piece be there? :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure you get & install those Spring Clips for inside front pads. This is probably your noise source! Also, the outer pad Ears should always be snug on Caliper. +=+ Larry '96 9C1
ADD> All brake hardware(including spring clips) is available at any good auto parts store, and almost always cheaper than Stealership.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My stock rotored car doesn't make any sound with them..

I feel a little "grind" or roughness when applied cold (ya gotta heat 'em up a little), but other than that, limited dusting and they stop just fine!!!!

'Course those slots in your rotors are probably pronouncing whatever noise there is a little louder....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.