Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats going on Impala SS fam! Had to post pics from when I put on my new speaker pods I got from http://www.customspeakerpods.com

Had the speaker pods before with the 6.5 speaker and tweeter, but now I got the new speaker pod with the 6.5 speaker and 5.25 speaker in it! And I asked the guy who makes custom speaker pods could he make me some pods for the rear that will fit a 6.5 speaker and 5.25 speaker, and he made a set for me.

So here goes the pics!

My new equipment!

What my door looked like before

New front speaker pods that came in. And I had Pioneer speakers in before, but I switched to Rockford Fosgate Power series speakers. And I used their 6.75 speakers and 5.25 speakers. Also I must say that my RF speakers were kinda big. Even tho the cut outs for the speakers look fine, I had to trim the cut outs more to fit the both speakers on with the grilles. They were hitting when I first tried to put em on. The pod on the left I cut out more to fix the speakers, and the pod on the right was how they were when they came in.

Got my paint booth set up lol

What my door looked like after tryna see how much I have to cut out for the speakers. Before then after I cut enough to clear it

After getting cut right, and drilling the appropriate holes to keep the pods in place on the doors, Got them on!

My only problem with these pods... I really didnt care for this gap that's there after I installed them. Its not really that big of a deal tho. Especially when you're driving or showing it off it's not like its noticeable, I just noticed it when I did it. And you can see how close my speakers are with the grille. They're pretty much touching.

Room for a tweeter possibly too!

Did the passenger side now

Now putting the door panels back on!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now starting on the back deck....

Doing some guesstimate cuts to see about what I need to fit the speakers

Now its time to cut some metal

DEFINITELY far from the best cuts that coulda been performed haha. All I had was a grinder blade, but it got the job done! Also chiseled the metal to make it feel smoother after I cut it.

Also, those little metal clips that were used to hold the original rear deck, are NOT used holding these down. I ended up using the bolts that held down the 6.75 speakers, and drilled down a hole in the metal of the car, and used a washer and nut on the bolt. And that holds the pods on. I was able to get 2 on the side closest to the seat, and one on the back side of the pod. You can see on this pic I had one on either side to hold it down.

And after getting em together, I got them on!

Just to add, I also bought a new sub box to hold my 15's. I got the one from eBay that's made to fix our trunks, and the guy cut the holes for 15's instead of 12's. And got a new Hifonics amps pushing both the subs and my speakers! Had make sure the amps didnt hit the speakers, but they didnt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final product. :D

And for the sound... Definitely LOUDER!! And very CRISP. I'm very impressed with the new set up. Glad I was able to get everything to work! And keep the almost stock look. Only problem I have tho, is the 4 channel Hifonics amp I have on all 8 speakers. It gets hot QUICK, then it will cut off if I have em on full blast for about 10-15 min. The amp proclaim it can handle a 2-Ohm load with 250w per channel RMS, but I swear it's acting like it's unstable or something. I need a better amp to push the speakers. So I been looking at getting the Audioque 4 channel amp, since I've always heard how SOLID Audioque amps are! Think Ima get one of those soon. But I am also taking RECOMMENDATIONS on amps. Please give me some input on amps!!

And of course I have a video to show off the new setup and sound ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if u don't mind me askin how much were the front pods
Pretty sure they were $90, plus shipping.

The pods are cool. Your pant leg doesn't get in the way? Still pretty crisp?
Nah it dont hit my leg like that! It look like it's in the way tho. Still sounding good too!!

lookin good as always man! I'm in the middle of planning an audio setup. will probably start a thread when i start
Diggin those pods ! The front door set up is nice !
Appreciate it!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts