Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys post some pics of your sub enclosures? I think I may not go with the free air subs and I would like to get some ideas. I dont want to kill alot of trunk space though... so please no pics of sub boxes sitting in the middle of the trunk...

thanx

Lorna

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lorna,
When you get a chance check out my sounddomain page

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/ssimpalass95

Im running 3 12's in a sealed enclousure w/ the amps/caps to the sides. Everything is very flush and i have LOTS of trunk space (not that I use it for anything) I was considering a 1 pc billet grill to cover all 3 but im sure it would cost a good 400-600.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by WILDSS:
Lorna,
When you get a chance check out my sounddomain page

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/ssimpalass95

Im running 3 12's in a sealed enclousure w/ the amps/caps to the sides. Everything is very flush and i have LOTS of trunk space (not that I use it for anything) I was considering a 1 pc billet grill to cover all 3 but im sure it would cost a good 400-600.
Yeah baby that's what I'm talking about...but where did you put the spare?

I want something just like that in whatever style or configuration that will help me keep as much space as possible. I am even willing to get a one of those skinny spare tires to conserve space.

Thanks guys

Lorna

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry lorna i dont mean to steal the post but just wanna ask wildss about the trunk.
wildss, how hard do you think it would be able to modify that sub enclosure to have only two 10's on each side of the spare (which would be good to keep full use of for me). also, do you have any designs for that setup, like how the panels were cut, cuz thats what i was thinking of doing with the subs around the spare and on amp on each side.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Lorna-
Just FYI, I tried the small donut spare on my car's right rear when the tire blew to get off the fwy. The posi rear end did not like it and made noise above 35mph. So you may have to check for a mini with clse to the same diameter as the full size.
Also, I am building a box next to the spare for one 12" on my car just don't have a camera to shoot pics - sorry. Regards- Scott

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yikes.... NEVER run different sized tires on a posi differential... 50 miles later you won't have a posi anymore.

If a rear tire blows and you don't have a full-sized spare swap a front one on and run the spare in the front.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sides dont take any space really away from the trunk if you have OEM carpet installed. When the carpet is removed then you will notice the huge amount of space you have to work w/ - With that in mind if you put your amps and everything to the sides out of the way you have all the space in the world to fit 2 10's and the spare. I could fit a donut in the trunk but dont because it would look out of place just sitting there in the middle. It wasnt a concern then and still isnt 2 years later and this is my daily driver (cross fingers) - I dont have any designs on paper but it would be very easy to duplicate in the future. If a spare was a issue i could see 2 subs being very simple to do when your dealing w/ 3+ you almost have to take up the middle portion of the trunk. I need to get some shots of the trunk w/ the front cover off so you can see how much room there actually is because we have a huge rear deck and that whole area is the sealed enclouser. Like I said i could fit a spare in the middle of the trunk as it is but i wouldnt because it wasnt put together w/ that in mind and would look totally ghetto.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the reply wildss. did you have to take out the torsion bars (i think thats what they are called) to put the box in? I want to put two 10's (one each side of the spare) and leave the spare in it's stock location. I was measuring and it seems possible, except i'm not exactly sure how to start building the side panels.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sal,
Did you remove the carpet from the trunk yet? Once you do this you will see a huge amount of room in the rear fender the side panels will sit flush w/ the opening. Where you located at? I will try and take different pics of the panels to give you a better idea.

As for the torsion bar it is still there but barely i know the box is tucked pretty tight under it. I dont know if I would remove it either I have had problems as it is w/ the trunk flexing when im screwing around. I managed to split a box that was bolted down in each corner on the bottom and top... and this box wasnt made cheap it had a screw every inch to hold it together. Now on top of that i have braces on the corners.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Steve, I am looking to do a system similar to your latest install, but nothing quite the extravigant... ;)

Would you mind if you gave me some of the dimesions of your box set-up? And as far as the box is concerned, does it port into the car, and then have the membranes? What does this gain you?

Thanks,
Troy

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i sm in southern cali. i would very much appreciate it if you could take pictures and stuff. i would gladly pay you for your time. i have seen how much space is on the sides, i dont really see how the side panels stay up though. my thoughts are to put the amp on the sides like you did and make a box that leaves the spare where it is and allows me to take it out without having to remove the box, i think there is enough space for a ten on each side. im not sure how to make the box behind the front though. like what shape or how big you know. thanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ooooooh baby, where'd you come from? You just a hot little thing aint you... DAYUM. YO WHATS UP BABY?

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Lorna-
Ask HACK-moderator on this board( and forum host)- to show pics of the side boxes he made that go around the spare. He hasn't chimmed in probably because 1. they are a lot of work to build and 2. he doesn't want to "advertise". Scott is a great guy and really helpful. I should of had him build some for me last year but I got off track. I think the key is to get the driver(subwoofer) a direct path into the cab and not fire the woofers into the trunk. Regards-

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yo SSisco...tell me about your box..do you have diagrams for it?

Mike

1 - 20 of 40 Posts