Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I’m trying to find my best option to seal my pinion spline permanantly while beginning my differential final assembly. After reading, I’ve decided I want to use Permatex thread sealant with Teflon. I went to Autozone and found no specific “Permatex with Teflon” labels on their shelves. I only seen “Permatex with PTFE” which a shallow search states it’s just another name. I’d like to know if this is true. I really would prefer to locate a specific product that states “Permatex with Teflon” if possible, unless I can guarantee (from facts) that the PTFE is the ”Same” product with no variations in chemistry. In short, I want to insure I’m at the best with leak protection. Some side notes from the pics included, I’m finding two products that say with Teflon that have different number identifications and see a tube that’s smaller that says 14a “With Teflon” that matches the PTFE small bottled product. I don’t mean to be so picky. I’m just trying to guarantee a nice finished build without the headache or regrets later. So pretty much asking.
1. Are all these products the same?
2. which one should I buy?
3. Are the different numbers just package identification?
4. Are people using the same Teflon permatex on the pinion nut washer? Or just Teflon on the spline and regular RTV on the washer?
5. I’m glad I over squeezed my crush sleeve by 14 inch poundsbecause I used regular RTV the first time and found on the forum people recommend with Teflon.🙂

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
Quote "PTFE vs. Teflon: what is the difference between the two? Essentially, the only difference lies in the name. PTFE is the shortened name of the chemical polytetrafluoroethylene, and Teflon is the trade name of the same polymer. End Quote

As in all Kleenex is tissue, all tissue is not Kleenex

Pick your poison.

The stuff in the tub seems to have a more volatile carrier and drys harder.

The people that put sealer under the washer, typically are the people that forgot to put it on the splines ;)

Many pick many different sealers with success, my personal choice is the "the white stuff"

Just put a liberal amount on the female splines, the extra will end up under the washer

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote "PTFE vs. Teflon: what is the difference between the two? Essentially, the only difference lies in the name. PTFE is the shortened name of the chemical polytetrafluoroethylene, and Teflon is the trade name of the same polymer. End Quote

As in all Kleenex is tissue, all tissue is not Kleenex

Pick your poison.

The stuff in the tub seems to have a more volatile carrier and drys harder.

The people that put sealer under the washer, typically are the people that forgot to put it on the splines ;)

Many pick many different sealers with success, my personal choice is the "the white stuff"

Just put a liberal amount on the female splines, the extra will end up under the washer
Thanks. For kicks here, after waiting for them to send me my permatex thread sealer “with Teflon” like their advertisement picture showed, they sent me a tube of permatex PTFE. haha. It’s white. I used it. 🙂 Got my pinion in and landed on my preload mark this time. Them crush sleeves are pretty tuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts