Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the zircs with grease and while I did that, the pitman arm moved DOWN about 1/8".

I do have a little side/side slop in the wheel. Do you guys think I could get side/side slop from a pitman arm that moves up/down only? [I have recently replaced some BJs and bushings - I think there is no other component that could cause the slop except for the steering box]

Any of you other guys see movement in the pitman arm while greasing? Do you also see slop?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Are you SURE it was the pitman arm that moved.

I recently had a Fellow club member ask the same question and what he thought was the pitman arm moving when it was greased, was actually the Center Link, where it attaches to the Pitman.

Our heavy cars, especially with the big tires are really hard on the steering components, and the centerlink attacment to the pitman gets missed a LOT, even a little play in that connection will translate to a lot more movement and slop in your steering.

Just a thought..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll co-sign that.

The pitman arm does not have a ball or any moving parts. The ball is part of the centerlink.

Take the pitman arm off the center link and wiggle the ball around, see how much play it really has.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Original,

While it dose sound from your description that the center link is defective, it's best to clarify whether the pitman arm itself actually moved or not.

One thing that can happen is that a problem with the sector shaft support bearing/bushing inside the steering gear may develop (sector shaft is the part of the steering gearbox the pitman arm is attached to) that results in excessive movement/play of the sector shaft AND pitman arm.

You should verify that the sector shaft is or is not moving side-to-side OR up/down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought my pitman was back, turns out the "ball" on the centerlink was worn pretty bad. Guess I gotta deal with it till I can afford to fix it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.