Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a pitman arm can be purchased at a typical parts store (AutoZone, Advanced, etc...). I have found some play in my steering and traced it back to the center link, and now I'm a little concerned that the Pitman may have worn because of this. Just wondering...thanks in advance for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pitman arm? if thats what you need its a non-wearable item, and can only be bought from dealer. now, idle arm on the other hand, can be bought at any autoparts store...pitman connects the gearbox to centerlink, and idle arm center link to the frame

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The taper fit on the pitman arm can be damaged, but it is more likely that the center link itself is where the play is, since it has a ball pivot that requires periodic lubrication. The pitman arm has no wearable connection as long as the center link is correctly installed. Once you separate the parts, carefully check the taper in the pitman arm to be sure.

I'd put my money on the center link being worn. Think about the fact that ALL of the steering inputs to the wheels travel through that connection, and it does wear out over time and with use (or abuse).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dragon, ditto what Bill said. Change out that Center Link first. Get a Moog or AC Delco quality part. While your at it(if you havn't already) install a Moog "K6187T" Idler Arm(stock arm is crap). Don't forget grease fittings & grease them! +=+ Larry '96 9C1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I replaced my old C-link with one from MOOG and it drives like a completely different car now. The idler isn't worn out yet, and since I'm a college student, I don't really have the extra cash to replace parts that are still okay. I do plan on doing it at some point in time though. I lucked out and got a little bit of a discount on the center link because I'm a student at a Auto-Diesel College, which also meant that labor was free. Still have a little looseness in my steering, but I still have to replace the front wheel bearings and I'm hoping that will take care of my problems. Thanks again for all the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry Dragon,
But your chasing a monster most high mileage SS owners never catch. Do a search on front end wandering & be amazed at how many people are trying to stay in one lane.
I haven't caught him yet but I'm getting closer.
All that is left to replace is steering wheel, shaft, rag joint, steering box and pitman arm.
Good Luck in school
later
babyhauler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.