Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the interior of my car, there is always a plastic burning smell when my headlights are on. I am running HID's. I had this problem before and found my dimmer switch (mounted on steering column), melted !? It is probably the same thing again, (haven't checked yet). Is there a stronger relay, thicker wiring, or some other type of fix for this problem ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Are you using an aftermarket headlight harness?
If not, it's a known fact that the factory wiring for our headlights was undersized from the factory. Plus all the load goes through the factory dash switch with out the aftermarket harness. Hid's pull less load once on but at first start up, they pull a good load on the wiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using an aftermarket headlight harness?
If not, it's a know fact that the factory wiring for our headlights was undersized from the factory.
Is there one available ? Where can I get it from ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the best place.
http://www.innovativewiring.com/ChevyProductPage2/ChevyCarsPage2/ChevyImpalaPage.htm
Don't bother with the 4 relay harness, the 2 relay is just fine.
You can't go wrong with Gary's products. I have a few of his products and they are top notch

I think Whisperjet is the other harness maker or you can build your own if your good with relays.
Would you happen to have any schematics on building your own ? Have a friend who is good with relay's .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Would you happen to have any schematics on building your own ? Have a friend who is good with relay's .
Sorry I don't. I'm not very good with relay's yet. Been reading up.
http://www.the12volt.com/
You might find a schematic on that site.
I know you use the factory headlight plug to control the relays and that takes all the load off the original wiring running through the dash switch.
Just an fyi. By the time you buy all the wiring,relay's, and connectors,misc, plus your time. It's hard to beat Gary's harness.
Good luck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,298 Posts
+1 on Gary's harness. I melted the dimmer switch a few years ago, it looked awful, completely melted. Replaced the switch and the connector, and installed Gary's headlight harness as well. No problems since.

He is also a great guy too. I needed a spare connector along with the pins, since mine was completely trashed. He was able to send one out pretty quick. Don't think he charged me for it, either. This was before I bought his harness so I wasn't even a customer of his at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
For $30 you can get a decently cheap harness that runs off the battery, that would be more than sufficient for HIDs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Possibly the Aux Battery Post?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just noticed something else. The high beam indicator symbol on my dash stays on, and the lever doesn't make the clicking noise when trying to turn it off ? Is my lever broken ?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top