Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 9c1, and a local shop wants me to get platinum spark plugs, but is it really worth it? I can get regular acdelco plugs for around $12. Whats the difference, and how much should the platinums cost? They want $109 for the platinums with a lifetime warranty.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I like Original Equiptment that I don't have to worry about changing for 100,000(Atleast they are for the L-99/LT-1's) ;) As for $109. I'm sure Dal can get you a MUCH better price!! If you need his info, just check check the Sticky in the MISC. section.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got Bosch Platinum +4 plugs for like 2 bucks *less than that actually* a plug, and did it myself in my 87 caprice. Runs like a charm.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bosch has known issues. +4 is really not a good choice regardless of the plug brand. The double platinum AC Delco is a good choice for a daily driver, and as mentioned they will last for a very long time. Expect about $8 per plug to be reasonable.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Gomer Pyle (Two Tone SS):
I got Bosch Platinum +4 plugs for like 2 bucks *less than that actually* a plug, and did it myself in my 87 caprice. Runs like a charm.
You're deffinately one of the few I have heard that likes the Plus4's, I used to sell them(With Plus2's/at the last another Co. 3 prong :rolleyes: ) and the Co I worked for had to impliment a No Return Policy on them! Too many of the Customer would bang the crap out of the during installation, attempt to reset the Gap themselves , only to remove them and return them for others/demand their money back! Those things have Laser set gaps, the slightest bumps(like any plug) knocks the gap off, then they need to be sent bck to the factory for re-gapping!! Hell those things would even be knocked out during shippment to the Suppliers/The PartsStore Depot or Warehouse!!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Multiple electrodes are nothing but a sales gimick anyway.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Yada yada Huh??:
I like Original Equiptment that I don't have to worry about changing for 100,000(Atleast they are for the L-99/LT-1's)
There is no dash in L99 and LT1.A "LT-1" is a 1970's small block 350 (very nice motor BTW) a "LT1" is a 1990's small block TPI 350.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't even be paying a shop to change plugs on an L03 or L05 car. Even the novice could change all the plugs in an hour or so with only a 1/2" drive rachet, plug socket, a couple extensions, and maybe a swivel.

Bosch Platinums are junk, regrardless of how many electrodes. Their tiny center electrode is easily fried by modern ignition systems. I had a set in my '95 when I bought it, and it had a miss at low RPM's. Put in AC Delco Platinums, and haven't had any trouble since. You can get Delco Platinums for about $6/ea at O'Reilly and other parts stores. But, as easy as they are to change on the TBI motors, you could just go with the stock copper Delcos, and change every 30k.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Yada yada Huh??:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gomer Pyle (Two Tone SS):
You're deffinately one of the few I have heard that likes the Plus4's, I used to sell them(With Plus2's/at the last another Co. 3 prong :rolleyes: ) and the Co I worked for had to impliment a No Return Policy on them! Too many of the Customer would bang the crap out of the during installation, attempt to reset the Gap themselves , only to remove them and return them for others/demand their money back! Those things have Laser set gaps, the slightest bumps(like any plug) knocks the gap off, then they need to be sent bck to the factory for re-gapping!! Hell those things would even be knocked out during shippment to the Suppliers/The PartsStore Depot or Warehouse!! </font>[/QUOTE]I do, but I had some of the above problems putting them in. had to regap them *of course that was no easy task to get them right where they needed to be* next time I do get spark plugs, despite the good experience I'm having with the +4's I think I'll probably go back to a cheap set of Champions.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Danny_LT1:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Yada yada Huh??:
I like Original Equiptment that I don't have to worry about changing for 100,000(Atleast they are for the L-99/LT-1's)
There is no dash in L99 and LT1.A "LT-1" is a 1970's small block 350 (very nice motor BTW) a "LT1" is a 1990's small block TPI 350. </font>[/QUOTE]You are correct, I have habit of adding the dash to seperate it at times not thinking about! More or less an easy slip, like how you stated that the LT1's and L99's are 1990's small block TPI 350/265's when they are actually SFI . TPI was used on the 1991 prior Corvettes/1992 and prior Camaro/Firebirds with the L98's .

The production Boxy/Bubble B-bodies never saw TPI(Tuned Port Injection) engines, they recieved Carb(Carburetor) /TBI(Throttle Body Injection)/EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection)/and ended with SFI(Sequential Fuel Injection) .
Heres the listing for '91-96 Bubble Bodies
http://www.9c1.com/technical/engineapps.htm

Really if you think about it though, it's not that big of a deal as we all make mistakes! Especially 3 in the morning without sleep!

Originally posted by Gomer Pyle (Two Tone SS):
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Yada yada Huh??:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Gomer Pyle (Two Tone SS):
You're deffinately one of the few I have heard that likes the Plus4's, I used to sell them(With Plus2's/at the last another Co. 3 prong :rolleyes: ) and the Co I worked for had to impliment a No Return Policy on them! Too many of the Customer would bang the crap out of the during installation, attempt to reset the Gap themselves , only to remove them and return them for others/demand their money back! Those things have Laser set gaps, the slightest bumps(like any plug) knocks the gap off, then they need to be sent bck to the factory for re-gapping!! Hell those things would even be knocked out during shippment to the Suppliers/The PartsStore Depot or Warehouse!! </font>[/QUOTE]I do, but I had some of the above problems putting them in. had to regap them *of course that was no easy task to get them right where they needed to be* next time I do get spark plugs, despite the good experience I'm having with the +4's I think I'll probably go back to a cheap set of Champions. </font>[/QUOTE]How were you able to gap them right?? Single loop wire type gapper? The 4yrs of selling them, I was never able to or met anyone able to regap one of those!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I had one that wasn't bent, so I compared it to the one that I had bent. I got the single loop wire gapper, (as you said) and fit it under two of the four prongs as best I could. I forget what the gap was but I was able to match it with the gapping tool. Pain in the ass, but it was doable.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+2 on the AC Delco Dual Platinum spark plugs, I use part number 41-943 on my '95. Those should work for L05 & L03 as well, right?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by WilDaBeaSSt:
+2 on the AC Delco Dual Platinum spark plugs, I use part number 41-943 on my '95. Those should work for L05 & L03 as well, right?
Delco doesn't even recommend Double Plats for a '92 LO3/LO5

'92 LO3
-------------------------------------------------
1992 CHEVROLET CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 5.0L 305cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = E
Qty Req Qty ACDelco Part# Description
IGNITION / SPARK PLUG
08 41-905 SPARK PLUG, PLATINUM PLUG
GAP .035 Without RPO LEADED FUEL EMIS EXPORT (NM8) ^ SEO POLICE CAR(9C1) ^ SEO TAXI CAB(9C6) ^ SEO PUBLIC SERVICE VEH(1A2)
08 1 SPARK PLUG, RAPIDFIRE PLUG
GAP .045 With RPO SEO POLICE CAR(9C1) ^ SEO TAXI CAB(9C6) ^ SEO PUBLIC SERVICE VEH(1A2)
08 2 SPARK PLUG, RAPIDFIRE PLUG
GAP .045 STATION WAGON Without RPO LEADED FUEL EMIS EXPORT (NM8) ^ SEO PUBLIC SERVICE VEH(1A2)
08 CR43TS SPARK PLUG, STANDARD PLUG
GAP .035 With RPO SEO POLICE CAR(9C1) ^ SEO TAXI CAB(9C6) ^ SEO PUBLIC SERVICE VEH(1A2)
------------------------------------------------
'92 LO5
-----------------------------------------------
1992 CHEVROLET CAPRICE CLASSIC V8 5.7L 350cid GAS FI N Engine VIN = 7
Qty Req Qty ACDelco Part# Description
IGNITION / SPARK PLUG
08 41-817 SPARK PLUG, PLATINUM PLUG
GAP .035
08 1 SPARK PLUG, RAPIDFIRE PLUG
GAP .045
08 CR43TS SPARK PLUG, STANDARD PLUG
GAP .035
-------------------------------------------------
Found here:
http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_main_new.htm

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well there ya go, thanks Dragon! :D

Edit: Hmmm, it doesn't recomend dual platinum plugs for my 95 either but obviously they work fine. It does recomend dual platinums (41-943) for a 1996, that's because these plugs were 1st used in 1996. They should work fine.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by WilDaBeaSSt:
Well there ya go, thanks Dragon! :D

Edit: Hmmm, it doesn't recomend dual platinum plugs for my 95 either but obviously they work fine. It does recomend dual platinums (41-943) for a 1996, that's because these plugs were 1st used in 1996. They should work fine.
No problem, the reason why the Double Plats are recommended for the '96's and not prior, is because the '96's got the upgraded ignition(Can't remember the upgrade was to the Opti, but the coil was different). Double Plats really aren't neccessary for the 95 and priors unless you upgraded the iginition as well! Like you said they should work fine, but again not needed if you wanted to save on cost!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
been using the rapid fires on my 91 forever it seems, also have an accel supercoil/cap etc and taylor wires no poblems at all

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
Multiple electrodes are nothing but a sales gimick anyway.
Yep, and sometimes they can actually reduce performance by "shrouding" the mixure from the actual spark....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts