Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 9c1 with 152k miles and I'm pretty sure the alternator just went out. I drove 100 miles in the car last night and today the starter won't even click unless I jump it. I can jump the car and get it started but if I come to a stop it dies right away. I think I need a new alternator and I found one at a nearby napa but I don't know if my car has a 105 amp or a high output 140 amp alternator. So I don't know what to replace it with. How can you find out which one you have? Speedy responses would be great because I am stranded until you guys help me out and I'm typing this on my cell phone. Its been a pretty ****ty day so far. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
All 9c1's have 140 amp alternators. It is unlikely that is the problem, but have it tested before you replace it. Check the cables especially the positive "stack" for corrosion. Check your battery as well. The cables and/or battery are more likely to be the problem than the alternator. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Some auto parts stores will test your alternator for you.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
If you drove 100 miles, then it is not the alternator. No alternator would drain the battery in about 20 miles. And a good but discharged battery would recover its charge after sitting overnight. The car should run fine off the alternator output even with a dead battery. I bet you have a dead battery.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Putting your loaction in your signature will help us and you. Most AZ will test the alternator and battery on the car for free. You don't say how old your battery is. As stated, also check all cables and connections.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am on my computer now so I will fill u guys in more thouroughly. I live in denver but this happened after driving from denver to breckenridge on I70. I stopped in frisco on the way there and noticed that I had left the lights on the whole way and it was dinging but I turned them off. 5 minutes later after checking my oil, I tried to start the car and the starter would not even click. It was completely dead. The spedometer would not even light up when I turned the key on. A guy helped me jump it and it started right up. I drove another 10 miles or so to my buddys place in breckenridge. When I got there I backed into a spot and the car died before I could put it in park. At this point it was just as dead as the first time again. So I checked my connections at the battery both positive and negative were clean. I am pretty sure that the main ground from the battery right next to the alternator is fine because I checked it and cleaned it about 10k miles ago. I made sure the connections were tight and I still had nothing. In the morning I jumped the car again and it moved 10 feet and died. It will run for longer if I hook up the jumper cables to the car longer but after I am moving and have to slow down the car just dies again. After you read that essay I just wrote to you guys let me know what you think. Thank you

·
Registered
731 Posts
Putting your loaction in your signature will help us and you. Most AZ will test the alternator and battery on the car for free. You don't say how old your battery is. As stated, also check all cables and connections.
+1, Find a place that will test alternators and either take it to them, or get the car there and have it tested.

If your battery is any count, you can usually put the battery overnight on a charger and the next day, if you don't run the A/C, music system and electronics at all on the way, make it a reasonable distance (10-15 miles or so) to the parts store if you have one in that vicinity that will test the alternator for you. (Take a 13mm and 15mm boxed end wrench with you, and go directly to the parts store if you take the car; don't stop anywhere else, or try and kill it and restart it, you won't if you are running off battery alone!)

BTW you didn't happen to notice what the voltage gauge in the dash was showing when all this was happening by any chance?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Definitely want to check your battery cables. Make sure they are tight and in good condition at the battery. I had an instance where my positive cable was loose and the car wouldn't start or stay running. Also, if it loose, you may not be charging it adequately.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did see the gauge on the dash it was actually reading high. I think it would be at like 15 if it was right. I dont know if I trust it or not but I also have a radar detector that tells me the voltage and it was reading 14.1 with everything else off. When I turned the lights on I think it went to about 13.8 then when I tried the ac and the lights at the same time the car died again

·
Registered
10 Posts
sounds like the alt... if no local parts stores will test it for free,try this start it... then disconnect the pos battery cable (carefully) if it runs still, its not the alt... if it dies it for sure is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts