Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon turning the key to start car a very brief ugly, grading, scratch sound occurs for about one second before engine starts. This is a new development and I've never heard it before.

·
Premium Member
20,281 Posts
Upon turning the key to start car a very brief ugly, grading, scratch sound occurs for about one second before engine starts. This is a new development and I've never heard it before.
….well neither have we. Got a recording to post?

A WAG is maybe the starter/flexplate
Without actually hearing it for myself, I'm gonna say a cracked/broken flexplate.

KW

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
when key in crank mode you hear a noise most likely the starter . remove neg batt term and drop starter check it out .. can be other things but starters do wear out and make odd sounds.

I had to shim out my starter things wear .
if the flywheel/flex plate is cracked it will make noise all the time ..tick sounds drop cover when you do the starter check..also teeth .

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks for all input. I will pull the starter, check teeth on flywheel, engagement, etc. It's the original starter at 130k. I will report back when I finally get time to do this job.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
Possible it is the starter. If you do wind up needing a new one get a 96 Corvette starter at Autozone

If you did a cell phone quick record of the "noise", we could advise with more certainty. Your brief description points to a starter or Flex Plate issue

Possible your starter is momentarily not engaging the FW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts