Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning walked out to my car to check if my spark plug wires were still good and guess what I noticed. I hope this is just some morning condensation lol...

·
Registered
981 Posts
What color is "morning Condensation" in your locale? Mine usually isn't bright green. Nor does it smell like anti-freeze. How about you?

If your waterpump really is leaking, you can replace it when you replace the opti in your previous post, since you'll be pulling it off anyway. A waterpump R&R isn't the hardest job on these cars. There are plenty of posts and write-ups around to give you a lot of advice.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lucky for you the water pump is a pretty straight forward and simple replacement. While your at it, replace your thermostat for a 160* hypertech.

·
Registered
586 Posts
How does it taste? Sweet, with a bitter aftertaste? That's A/F.

But verify it's not coming from the radiator/heater hoses, or the thermostat housing, or the bleeder screw. If the answer to those is 'no', then, sorry, you're about to enjoy the fun that goes with replacing a waterpump on a B-body.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can someone give me the low down on changing a waterpump and if it matters if i get a cheap one from autozone?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
If you wipe it and it comes right back at the weephole then it's bad alright. I had a green AF stain on the block where no possible AF come come from - and I had a small AF leak I could not trace. Turns out a pinhole in a hose would shoot out on the road, but then pucker up the minute I pulled in the driveway. My son found it one day. werd.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
If your waterpump really is leaking, you can replace it when you replace the opti in your previous post, since you'll be pulling it off anyway. A waterpump R&R isn't the hardest job on these cars. There are plenty of posts and write-ups around to give you a lot of advice.
Yup! I have had good luck with the brand new lifetime warrenty pumps from Autozone. Do the Opti at the same time. Hell You are 3/4 the way to the opti.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
your water pump is failing

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup! I have had good luck with the brand new lifetime warrenty pumps from Autozone. Do the Opti at the same time. Hell You are 3/4 the way to the opti.
Me and my buddy are going to autozone to get me a new WP and he said I should get a new cap and rotor also.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
You are more than likely gonna have to order both items. You will also need to order a 160 degree hypertech stat too. You can order the MSD cap and rotor from O'rily autoparts. O'riley also has a complete gasket/seal set for the timing chain cover, I'd get that too.

The MSD kit comes with a "tool" to get the cap off the opti. Harbor Frieght carries a small enough star bit to get the rotor off the opti. HF also sells blue (non perminate) loc tite to apply to the threads of the rotor when you replace it.

My opti is sitting here on my desk filled with oil.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=249032

I should be able to answer most if not all your questions.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You are more than likely gonna have to order both items. You will also need to order a 160 degree hypertech stat too. You can order the MSD cap and rotor from O'rily autoparts. O'riley also has a complete gasket/seal set for the timing chain cover, I'd get that too.
No need to get a 160F Tstat unless you're going to reprogram the PCM to lower the fan turn-on temperatures.

The MSD cap & rotor kit is a good one. Also, +1 do the timing cover seal kit. And, get a highlighter so you can make the WP drive seal installer tool.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Can someone give me the low down on changing a waterpump and if it matters if i get a cheap one from autozone?
i just got done pulling my water pump just now...it aint hard by no means, just some very tedious work. this is my first time going deep into a LT motor and its a lot of connectors and vacuum lines. just MARK EVERYTHING.

·
Super Moderator
8,903 Posts
There is no need to mark anything - if you notice, all of the electrical connectors on the front of the engine are uniquely keyed.

And yes, a B-body LT1 water pump is easy to swap, even easier if you don't have the mechanical fan package. I did a water pump swap on an '86 Caprice way back when, the year before they went to the serpentine belt setup. Now THAT sucked!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts