Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to give my SS its first tune up. Had it for only 5 months. Has 85 thousand miles on her. My question is how often should plugs and wires be changed on the LT1? Its my first ever gasoline vehicle always had diesel. Im used to changing my glow plugs and injectors on my diesel every 100,000 miles and Im certain spark plugs dont last as long.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Actually they do and you will be glad of that fact when you have experienced what a chore it is to change them. At 85,000 unless you are having problems, I would leave them alone. The wires are more a matter of age and if yours are the originals(they say Packard on them), they are due to be changed. Use stock Delco stuff for replacement.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Yeah Skip the Bosch platinums, junk!

I replaced my plugs with AC-Delco platinums.

Some people here use NGK but I dont know anything about them.

If you have exhaust manifolds be careful of the heat shields, they will cut the **** out of your hands!

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Yes, they are pre-gapped.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Go thru the wheelwells.

^^^^^Trust Me^^^^^

Get Delco 96 Plats and Magnecore wires.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah Skip the Bosch platinums, junk!

I replaced my plugs with AC-Delco platinums.

Some people here use NGK but I dont know anything about them.

If you have exhaust manifolds be careful of the heat shields, they will cut the **** out of your hands!
I have bbk shorty headers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually they do and you will be glad of that fact when you have experienced what a chore it is to change them. At 85,000 unless you are having problems, I would leave them alone. The wires are more a matter of age and if yours are the originals(they say Packard on them), they are due to be changed. Use stock Delco stuff for replacement.
So plugs could last up to 100,000 miles? Do they need to be checked in certain intervals.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I would never run even plat plugs 100k unless you drive it like a granma.
I run the ngks, change them every 15k to 20k or so, works for me.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Your engine is modified and you race it. That's a different story. We presume he is asking about a stock car. The police ran 9c1's for 100,000 all the time without problems.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I put ac delco platinums in my car at about 90k. By 135k they were toast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts