Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to go work out tonight at the gym and when I got back into my car it wouldn't start...When I turn the key, the engine doesn't even try to turn over. My electrical power all seemed fine. I hear a click(not a buzzing sound) from where my tank is located,so I'm thinking maybe it's not the fuel pump? Tried jumping it anyway and it made no difference of course. One odd thing I did notice, however, was that when I did turn the key, it made a weird winding-up sound that I could just barely hear from inside the engine bay. Sounded like it came from the starter, but I had just changed that like 6 months ago?...I hope this is detailed enuff. Everything was working just fine 'till tonight. At least it's in front of 24-hour fitness..LOL
Any help on what else to check into is very much appreciated!! THANKS

·
Registered
769 Posts
Is the "PassKey" light on?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
FIRST CHECK CRANK FUSE ON SIDE OF DASH PANEL
car will not crank if that fuse is blown,I some times take mine out for security purposes:D

If it ok and your battery is not dead it sounds like your starter, either wiring on it is loose or it may have bad solenoid.If wires look fine on starter, hit your starter a couple of times with something kind of heavy then try to start it.This will wake up the solenoid but is a temperary fix.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks....I have a 9c1 so it wouldn't be a Pass Key issue....So this wouldn't be how it goes if my opti went bad right??

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
No,it still cranks when opti is out, just wont start or if it does start it runs like crap. have you checked fuses yet???

Do you have an aftermarket alarm??

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna head down over there in a few minutes to check the fuse as well as the starter....I use to take out my fuel pump relay for security purposes, but I'da heard a crank if it was that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: So I went to the parking lot, checked the fuses and everything looked fine...then this dude who I noticed was also having car problems came to check things out....reached down to the starter with a screw driver while we had jumper cables on the car and it started right up...said I needed to tighten the wires up on the starter. At least the car is home now:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAHA Me too, thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
UPDATE: So I went to the parking lot, checked the fuses and everything looked fine...then this dude who I noticed was also having car problems came to check things out....reached down to the starter with a screw driver while we had jumper cables on the car and it started right up...said I needed to tighten the wires up on the starter. At least the car is home now:)
Ha ha the old screwdriver trick. I had an old Firebird with an ignition switch problem that I used to start that way. Should have seen the strange looks I got in parking lots when I did it. People must've thought I was stealing it or something. Had the whole routine down to about 45 seconds. (unlock car, pop hood, jump starter, hop back in and go lol) Glad it was an easy fix....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha ha the old screwdriver trick. I had an old Firebird with an ignition switch problem that I used to start that way. Should have seen the strange looks I got in parking lots when I did it. People must've thought I was stealing it or something. Had the whole routine down to about 45 seconds. (unlock car, pop hood, jump starter, hop back in and go lol) Glad it was an easy fix....

Or so I thought it was....took it home....jacked the car up, looked at all my wires on the starter and everything was fine. I even unscrewed them and put them back together and it's doing the same problem still....What else could be causing this?? Fk'n annoying!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If wires are tight and it starts fine with a screwdriver, the starter solenoid is bad. Since you have to pull the entire starter to get the solenoid, just get a whole new starter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If wires are tight and it starts fine with a screwdriver, the starter solenoid is bad. Since you have to pull the entire starter to get the solenoid, just get a whole new starter.
I guess that's the case then...However, Unlike the dude at the gym parking lot this morning, My step-daddy jumped it from under the car again tonight without directly using jumper cables. Told me he had to change 3 re-manufactured starters once right after the other so I guess needing a new starter after 6 months due to the solenoid going bad is possible(I do drive alot). FYI-I did change it out last time with a re-manufactured corvette starter.

SO HERE IS OUR MY 2 FINAL QUESTIONS FOR YOU GUYS HERE ON THIS TOPIC:
My step-daddy is pretty sure on it being the solenoid is bad. Should I just change the starter then, or first try replacing the positive battery cable that runs to the starter and see if that helps any??? Does that even sound like an issue here??

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
SO HERE IS OUR MY 2 FINAL QUESTIONS FOR YOU GUYS HERE ON THIS TOPIC:
My step-daddy is pretty sure on it being the solenoid is bad. Should I just change the starter then, or first try replacing the positive battery cable that runs to the starter and see if that helps any??? Does that even sound like an issue here??
If it starts every time using a screwdriver, the solenoid is the only thing you're bypassing. Its the only thing that could be bad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it starts every time using a screwdriver, the solenoid is the only thing you're bypassing. Its the only thing that could be bad.
starter has a lifetime warr. so I returned it and everything's all good now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts