Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very much the beginner welder. I've had some luck welding up the antennae holes and rear trunk lock holes, but I'm having difficulty with the two holes in the roof. I'm worried about warping the metal and would like some advice on the safest do-it-yourself method. I don't know anything about fibreglass application, but would be open to that if anyone has advice.

TIA,
Jay

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to weld one of the holes once already. Ended up not getting the greatest weld and had to cut the hole out again to start over. Like I said, amateur welder here. I went to a local car show and a guy suggested a second piece of sheet metal welded to the hole from underneath and fill the area left over. Seems odd.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
yah. what im gonna do. of corse take out headliner, cut small pieces of sheetmetal, alittle bigger than the hole. place it under nieth the roof, have someone hold it in place with something. weld it in and fill it

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like the trick then. I tried to weld in a piece of metal cut to fit the hole, not be slightly bigger. Was a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Just weld a small spot at one time. Then cool off with a air blower. Some people get all crazy and try to do a bead. If you do that it will warp your roof. Fiberglass or any type of glue will shrink a little in time and show up a circle. Welding is the only way to go! It will take you quite a few small welds untill your done. Also do not let the grinder on it in one spot for to long , that can warp it also.

·
Registered
869 Posts
i fiberglassed my roof holes. That was 2+ years ago with no issues. Dont even have to take down the headliner. A 30 year body guy told me the way to do it

sand paint away, take a pointed body hammer and lightly tap down the roof some about 1 inch around the hole (thats one inch out from the hole, so the hole and 1 inch area around it will be about 1/16 in lower that the rest of the roof now). Cut a few pieces of fiberglass cloth to fit that area (i used 4) coat cloth in fiberglass resin and lay one at a time over the hole, smooth out air unnder each layer best you can. Let dry for a day, sand and fill as needed

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It depends on how long you are going to keep the car. I have seen to many fiberglass repairs like that go bad at some point. They almost always show something in time on black cars also.

·
Registered
421 Posts
use short hair fiberglass, its used in the same application as body filler but its way thicker and lasts forever

1 - 10 of 10 Posts