Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remeber hearing something about staying away from polyurethane bushings. What's that all about. I'm getting ready to Moog the front end and I was thinking of also going ahead and replacing some of the bushings as well with the Energy Suspension sets from NAISSO. Comments, ideas, experiences?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you deaf?

If so, the constant squeaking from Poly that'll start a few months after you install them won't bother you too much :D

Seriously, there are better solutions out there than Poly.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed I have wanted to ask you something about the bushings myself. Does the 9C1 bushing mod, where we add the bushings that our SS's our missing to make our car sit more sturdy on our frame.....will that stop the squeaking that my car has that I can't stand?javascript:%20x()....or is it only if you upgrade the bushings that our SS's currently have with the Del-um bushings that will finally stop the (squeak, squeak). And trust me I probably hear it more than others because I park in a quiet underground parking lot, so I have to suffer through this for 4 levels of driving, so I usually turn the radio up really loud to avoid hearing it.javascript:%20x(). And if possible could you re-post where we could locate the bushing we probably would want if that is what I need?.......thx.

---------------
-Tony
'95 BBB Impala SS

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, no polyurethane. What are some of the better solutions?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, looks like we got about a half-dozen topics thrown all in here, let me try and separate out :D

For the 9C1 bushing mod, yes it will tighten up the car considerably. It may or may not eliminate squeaks you have now. Likely culprits on suspension squeaks are :<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Bad body bushings (either the ones between the body and frame, OR the "9C1" bushings that are between the BOTTOM of the frame and the bolt head)<LI>Bad control arm bushings (both front and rear control arms)<LI>Worn out spring isolators<LI>Worn out front swaybar bushings<LI>Worn out front swaybar endlinks<LI>Loose or improper rear swaybar mounting[/list]

On the SS, you can use Poly bushings and be ok (from a squeak standpoint) IF the bushings are greasable. Currently, the only greasable poly bushings available are in aftermarket REAR control arms (upper and lower, however the ones in the rear axle on the upper arms are NOT greasable) and the front swaybar bushings. If the bushing is not greasable and you use poly, it WILL squeak....its only a matter of time. Using PolyGRAPHITE (basically polyurethane impregnated with graphite) can delay this squeak onset somewhat, but it's basically a "band aid" kinda fix.

For the 9C1 bushings (the ones that go on the BOTTOM of the frame) that folks are upgrading to, get the GM ones (rubber) from Dal. About $70 or so, and a noticable improvement.

As for the Del-a-lums, they are available for the front control arms (uppers and lowers) and rear lower arms (rear bushing, front is a stainless, teflon-lined spherical bushing) at this time. The fronts are available separately (i.e. you can press them into your stock arms) while the rears are available only as part of a rear lower control arm upgrade from Global West.

The Del-a-lums are THE superior bushing solution wherever you can get them. NO deflection, NO binding, and NO squeaks. Of course, they are priced to match

Details on the 9C1 bushings are in the tech archives on b-body.net and the Del-a-lum pieces are available from www.globalwest.net (call their toll free listed on the website, ask for Doug, and ask about their SS parts).

Ed

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a related subject, I have a lot of "popping" on take off with my HO front sway bar.

I do not remember if the end links came with poly bushings, but since they pop every time I take off with even a little throttle, I am guessing they are poly.

Does Del-A-Lum make end link bushings so I can swap out the bushings in my HO front sway bar end links? If not, what should I go to?

Mike

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I think there is some mass confusion out there (as witnessed by some replies) on WHAT a Del-a-lum bushing is!

A del-a-lum bushings is ONLY available for those cases where there is a bolt thru the middle of the bushing, and NO lateral movement is desired. A good example would be the lower control arm bushings (in front) that are on the lin between the arm and the frame.

A "Del-a-Lum" bushing is made by Global West. It consists of an aluminum outer shell (which is what gets press-fit into the lower arm), with a liner inside that of del-rin (very hard plastic), with a liner inside THAT of stainless steel. The bolt that holds the bushing is a snug fit inside that liner.

They are ONLY for that purpose. You can't simply replace all of the bushings on the car with del-a-lums because for most of the "bushings" on the car (i.e. swaybar endlink bushings) it makes no sense!

Goto the Global West website, pretty sure they have a blow-up of the Del-a-lums on there somewhere.

Mike : sounds like you torqued down your swaybar with the weight of the car NOT on the suspension. Thus, the bushings are all bound up. Loosen up the bar mounts (both center bushings and endlinks) then re-torque them WITH THE WEIGHT OF THE CAR ON THE FRONT SUSPENSION (i.e. on ramps, or jackstands placed under the front lower control arms).

Ed

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Ed. I'll do it this weekend and see what happens.

Mike

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am using the graphite impregnated bushings from PST and when I installed them I wiped grease all over the bushing to steel surface and I have had no squeeking problems for 2 years.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also running black graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings without squeaks. I have them in the front upper/lower control arms, and body mounts. Supposively, the graphite bushings have a self lubricating property. I used to run the red polyurethane bushings for my front sway bar and those squeaked instantly.

Although I agree that the Del-A-Lums are probably going to perform better, I am still very happy with my set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts