Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 months ago I bought a set of valve springs from GM to replace my LT4 stock springs. As the mechanic was replacing them, one of the last, new CM retainers and locks were mismatched. Well, actually, we're not sure if we got 15 wrong ones and 1 right one, or 15 right ones and 1 wrong one.

Anyhow I put 3 calls into Seth, asking him, please call and advise the mechanic on the best route to proceed. After being assured 2 times that he'd call, we waiting over 2 hours and then on the last call I was told by Seth, rather testily that:

"I'm busy with two customers here."

We got left hanging. I then called the mechanic and had him install the last spring with one of the stock LT4 retainers and locks out of sheer desperation.

Taking 5 minutes to advise myself or the mechanic onsite of how to proceed considering this was their packaging fnckup, would have purchased immesureable goodwill on the part of CM. Now all they've earned is a LOT of bad blood from a very vocal forum member.

Just a heads up, if you get the wrong part, and you're not a $5000.00+ customer, CM doesn't seem to care :mad: . Well, Seth, lets hear from you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your "mechanics" phone number was a pager, which I left a call back number for.

If you were in our shop talking to me how would you like it if I excused myself to answer the phone, the customer on the other end of the line told me to call his mechanic, and I proceeded to ignore you for the next half hour talking on the phone even though you were there first.

If you believe you're more important than the people I was helping before you called, who did not spend a penny mind you so don't pull that we only care about customers who spend $5000 crap, then you are sadly mistaken. Every customer is an equal, including you, you're not more important just because you're in a hurry.

By the way, all you had to do was ask anybody else how to proceed, everybody else here is very capable as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Seth:
Your "mechanics" phone number was a pager, which I left a call back number for.
Umm, no its not, its his cell phone. And I was able to call 3 times to ask him if you'd called.

If you were in our shop talking to me how would you like it if I excused myself to answer the phone, the customer on the other end of the line told me to call his mechanic, and I proceeded to ignore you for the next half hour talking on the phone even though you were there first.
I'd appreciate it. When I have that VERY same issue, I take a second and look at my customer and say 'Hey, I've got a guy in a tight spot, excuse me for a second. I know your time is valuable but it might be you on the phone in a tight spot one day too, and I try and help everyone.' And you'll find that people, when said in that light; are pretty cooperative.

Every customer is an equal, including you, you're not more important just because you're in a hurry.
Hurry?

You screw up MY order and potentially my CAR; and its my fault when we're under the gun and I call you on it? Gimme a break Seth. Thats just truly lame. Good luck. With service like this, I'm sure you'll be the next Lingenfelter shop. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to chime in here...
I was having problems with my motor, or so I thought, and called Sam and Seth many, many times. Sometimes I got right thru, and other times I waited for a couple minutes or so, 10 was the longest and I got an apology for that.
They were always busy but they definately made things right. By the way, Seth and I think Sam have both posted their cell numbers on the forum.

I also have an observation, if your motor is screwed up, it's the fault of you and the mechanic for proceding without checking the parts first and then installing them once you realized they were mismatched. I'm sure if you had called them and said my parts are mismatched, could you get me another set of springs, they would've done it no prob.

Sorry for the rant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by SS383:
I also have an observation, if your motor is screwed up, it's the fault of you and the mechanic for proceding without checking the parts first and then installing them once you realized they were mismatched. I'm sure if you had called them and said my parts are mismatched, could you get me another set of springs, they would've done it no prob.
Sorry, but its obvious you didn't read what I wrote. Facts:

1) My engine wasn't screwed up. The shipment from CM WAS screwed up.

2) And I DID call, asked for Seth, and recieved, from Seth, a promise (twice) to immediately call my mechanic, which he did not do.

3) To date, despite my 3 calls and Seth knowing full well that there is a problem, all I've recieved from Seth is nastygrams and not one instance of him saying 'You know what, it was our fault, let me make it right'. Thats the mark of unprofessionalism to me. All I wanted was to confirm that the retainer/lock were mismatched and another shipped out to me. Wow. Thats asking a lot. :rolleyes:

4) All there have been are excuses.
"We were too busy"
"It was a pager not a phone number"
"It's not our job to call your mechanic"
Etc.. etc..

If he'd said on the phone, "I'm slammed but I'll get to it asap" and actually followed up instead of blowing me off. I could respect that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll just quote you...
"We got left hanging. I then called the mechanic and had him install the last spring with one of the stock LT4 retainers and locks out of sheer desperation." Didn't check it out before he put them in...I would have pulled them all out and sent them back.

"You screw up MY order and potentially my CAR; and its my fault when we're under the gun and I call you on it? " You told your mechanic to go ahead and finish the job even thought he said they were mismatched.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by SS383:
I'll just quote you...
"We got left hanging. I then called the mechanic and had him install the last spring with one of the stock LT4 retainers and locks out of sheer desperation." ....Didn't check it out before he put them in...I would have pulled them all out and sent them back.

"You screw up MY order and potentially my CAR; and its my fault when we're under the gun and I call you on it? " ....You told your mechanic to go ahead and finish the job even thought he said they were mismatched.
I take no sides on this issue (CM vs Kelly)....but SS383....you're really not readin'
this straight.

But even I can tell that Kelly told his mechanic put the previously installed stock LT4 retainers and locks back in. Those were parts that had already been on the car
. No mis-matched parts were installed :rolleyes: . Kelly's a bit smarter than that.

I doubt that anyone here minds you defending CM, but be sure of what you're reading before you try to make a point

Oh yeah...if you want to quote someone, just use the quote function. Kinda looks like "".

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
I doubt that anyone here minds you defending CM, but be sure of what you're reading before you try to make a point
Yes, at the moment, we have one LT4 retainer and lock and it working fine for the time being. A bandaid, nothing more.

I don't mind people liking CM one bit. Thats not my point. My point is that I'm unhappy, and CM still hasn't done shinola to fix the issue. No one can argue THAT point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by GhoSSt:
...Anyhow I put 3 calls into Seth, asking him, please call and advise the mechanic on the best route to proceed. After being assured 2 times that he'd call, we waiting over 2 hours and then on the last call I was told by Seth, rather testily that:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />"I'm busy with two customers here."

We got left hanging. I then called the mechanic and had him install the last spring with one of the stock LT4 retainers and locks out of sheer desperation....
</font>[/QUOTE]If it possible that you said the wrong number, the number was taken down wrong, or Seth dialed wrong? If Seth did call and got a message, then maybe it was while you were also on the phone with the mechanic at the same time? Just wondering.

BTW- I called the number on your website a while back with a question that I figured you would know the answer to. It was a weekend, and I really didn't expect you to be there. I never got a call back.

I once had a problem and gave Seth a call on a weekend. They were working on getting a car ready to go to the track, but took the time to help me get my car running also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it possible that you said the wrong number, the number was taken down wrong, or Seth dialed wrong? If Seth did call and got a message, then maybe it was while you were also on the phone with the mechanic at the same time? Just wondering.
What if? What if? What if?

Sorry, I'm not buying. I know for a fact, Seth has *MY* number in his customer records. And still I've recived no tender of solution.

BTW- I called the number on your website a while back with a question that I figured you would know the answer to. It was a weekend, and I really didn't expect you to be there. I never got a call back.
And I apologize, but I can't recall any phone calls from forum members that I didn't return. However, the lack of return for a 'social' call versus a business call in this situation is very, very different.

I once had a problem and gave Seth a call on a weekend. They were working on getting a car ready to go to the track, but took the time to help me get my car running also.
And this replaces my retainer how?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's my 2 cents, and that's pretty much what it's worth.

I've met Seth and Sam, they are top notch guys with a lot of irons in their fire. I look forward to seeing them in June.

I've never bought anything from CM, but I would in a heartbeat if I was in the market. Why? I've seen/installed a lot of their products, and it's generally REALLY good stuff!

However, I've seen numerous packaging errors on packages from them shipped here. For example, they just shipped 7 spark plugs here in the last part of March. Usually they are promptly straightened out, just as this retainer issue ought to be. I'm not sure how much time has passed, but a minute is too long. After all, I'm guessing they got the correct amount of money. Kelly should have the correct parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by HuSSker:
However, I've seen numerous packaging errors on packages from them shipped here. For example, they just shipped 7 spark plugs here in the last part of March. Usually they are promptly straightened out, just as this retainer issue ought to be. I'm not sure how much time has passed, but a minute is too long. After all, I'm guessing they got the correct amount of money. Kelly should have the correct parts.
[
Lance,

I could not agree more. We have had some growing pains as most businesses do. This does not excuse us from delivering fast acurate service. I have not had a chance to talk with Seth about this issue for her has been out the past few days. I assure you that if Kelly would have/like to bring this up with any employee here it would/have been handeled before today.

Kelly,

I would like to appologise for the experience you had with this company. If you would like to email me or call me with the details I would like a chance to help resolve the problem.

[email protected]
702-429-3791 (Sam's Cell)

Thank you

Sam Smith

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by GhoSSt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />BTW- I called the number on your website a while back with a question that I figured you would know the answer to. It was a weekend, and I really didn't expect you to be there. I never got a call back.
And I apologize, but I can't recall any phone calls from forum members that I didn't return. However, the lack of return for a 'social' call versus a business call in this situation is very, very different.</font>[/QUOTE]I called the day before I posted this... GM_TBI list

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DAMNIT SAM! Where's my 8th spark plug?????????? :D

Mav

P.S. If HuSSker already has it then I appolgize and put the blame totally on HuSSker for enjoying his own life and forgeting to tell me he got it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, I'm sorry but I had to chime in.

I have deal with Kelly in the past and must say that he is a man of his word, I bought a car from him, and he even delivered it to my work, then he flu back to Denver the same day, I must say that this is great service, but I've also deal with Sam and his crew, and must say, they are true business men, I'm sure that if there is a problem, they are going to take of it, but I will aslo tell you, that flaming some one on this forum for a lock and a retainer does not make much cense, like some one else said, the mechanic should have cheked all the parts before the installation, but I do undestand that what's done is done.

Why don't you give Sam a chance to make this better, he is a great guy to deal with, and I'm sure he will compensate for the mistake, I've seen CM grown, and I must say that is verry hard to keep track of orders and packing while moving from one place to another.

Both of you guys are great people, why don't just kiss and make up :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sam overnighted me the correct retainers and spare locks.

As I said to him on the phone. I'm more upset that the original person in this fray didn't clean up his own mess. But I suppose it fixed now, so back under the valve covers we go. sigh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ditto on the 8th plug. :eek: Geez Sam, this is for a car that's dead! I don't think that Mav needed it that fast! :D Way to git'er done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I placed an order with CM... a nice polished D1SC kit with some slightly larger injectors and some different options than the standard D1 kit

I really wish I had gotten an F1R in retrospect but whatever

Anyway they sent me the wrong belt tensioner and my builder couldnt figure out what the hell was wrong with it cause the tensioner was obviously too small but he had called CM and someone told him it was the correct one. I state again that it was obviously the wrong one...

the only way we could get it to build more than 6 PSI was to hairspray the belt and imagine that, it got thrown

so im sitting on the dyno and I called CM and asked for sam as I always did and he says "what do you mean they told you it was the right one?!"

long story short he overnights me the right tensioner and dropship overnights me a 3rd new belt straight from ATI

I compared notes with my builder who had also been in contact with CM because of issues with the pipe layout instructions being totally different from the new pipe style.. he also talked to sam and was quite pleased

props to sam

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.