Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be alot of possibilities on this forum for the above problems.... all I'm sure true. After about a year of chasing above issues finally got it running right. All, some or none of my fixes may be useful to you. I got ideas here for mine so thought I would share in hopes of helping someone. I'll separate what made a difference and what didn't.

Mine would run almost fine sometimes and awful at others. It seemed to vary by outside temp/humidity. To me anyway. First checked around for the obvious....electrical connectors, vacuum hoses, etc. Found 2 vac leaks at throttle body. Pulled TB and IAC for a good cleaning while at it. It needed it. Did repair with 90° plug boot and vac hose as couldn't find original hard plastic pipe. That helped alot but still surging at times. Cleaned MAF OR MAP, whichever it is with the thin wire. I get confused easily. No difference. Changed plugs next....they were awful. Big difference but still there. Considered plug wires but, looked okay and had changed them about 3 years ago (10,000 miles). Left bank (1,3,5,7) plugs much worse than right bank (2,4,6,8). Being a genius and all I figured may have ruined O2 sensor so changed them out. Left side was black. Running better still now. Almost there. While I'm driving it around so proud I'm smart enough to ALMOST get it fixed and thinking what the last piece of the puzzle is it starts getting worse again. Then one day won't even fire up. In the interest of time I'll jump to....optijunk cap and plug wires were sparking all over the place. Did cap, rotor, wires and plugs again as they were shot again and voila. Running as it should now. To summarize my best guess were obviously the 2 vacuum leaks at TB and cap, rotor, wires, plugs and O2 sensors (my 95 only has 2 upstream). I think the bad cap and wires ruined the plugs and O2's. Had I done that like I should have when I replaced the plugs, well didn't have time to do it right the first time, but had time to do it all over......cos like I said I'm a genius.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
Yep. A forum with over 1.8M posts and 23K members, for over 20 years, and for a 3-year only model run between 4 GM divisions.... = a true unicorn of immense and valuable intel. It's a combination of god 'ol fashion periodic inspection, maint. and repair, along with identifying and correcting all the inevitable material and manufacturing weaknesses and flawed design special to this car.

I'm wondering whether the fact you didn't mention any issues with broken ex. manifold bolts is due to your already having found out how important it is to replace them . ;)

Reactions: Jimpala95

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see your problem you don't pay attention. Obviously you missed the part of my post where I talked about how smart and what a genius I am. Also how I have now learned to get the job done and do it correctly the first time. That's why I have a broken exhaust manifold bolt on number 8 the right rear of course and have been driving it that way for 3 years. It only leaks a little bit you know.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
No, I caught the genius angle even before you mentioned it. It takes one to know one after all, so I can relate. And on the 'Broke Rear #8' front if you ain't got a welder or right-angle drill with left-hand bit, then feel free to transcribe everything I did for my rear #7:

And I notice I must have changed to IMGUR soon after that. There's a 'PhotoBucket Patch' for most browsers if the pics don't show.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I see your problem you don't pay attention. Obviously you missed the part of my post where I talked about how smart and what a genius I am. Also how I have now learned to get the job done and do it correctly the first time. That's why I have a broken exhaust manifold bolt on number 8 the right rear of course and have been driving it that way for 3 years. It only leaks a little bit you know.
Haha! Bolt--me, too, driver's rear. Procrastination is a helluva drug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See? I'm not the only one still driving with an exhaust leak. I think it will slowly get better until it's fixed because my stuff always goes that way. And I don't even know what IMGUR is how I get through a day is a question yet to be answered.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
........ how I get through a day is a question yet to be answered.
As has been my answer to most all life's most complex quandaries; "They make bourbon for that."

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
An interesting amber spirit. I see it's "cane spirits finished in oak bourbon barrels". So I'm gonna just have to hunt me down a test bottle in the rum section. Prost!

Reactions: Jim Paley
1 - 9 of 9 Posts