Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Im looking for shocks for the beater. I can get KYB GP2's for $30 each, same with Monroe sensa-trac and monroe-matics. Monroe severe service are more expensive at 45 a piece.

Are these cheaper shocks decent? Are the heavy duty worth the extra bucks? What if I put severe service on the front and one of the cheaper ones on the back?

[ 12-14-2006, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: fuzzcar ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its either Bilsteins(spelling?!?) or Monroe Severe Service, the Monroes beeing the cheapeast. If its a beater does it really matter? i'd just leave with the worn out shocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always replace the shocks on a car of mine if they are bad, reguardless of the cars staus. worn out shocks are dangerous. New shocks are a great inexpensive way to make the car more controlled, and even brake better. But thats just me, I put saftey first as far as my cars mechanically.
I put Menroe Severe services on my caddy and they were worth it. My buick has Sensatracs, and while they are controlled, they just don't firm things up like the SS's did. Now my caddy was an FE2(stiffer suspension, but not 9c1 stiff) vs the buicks FE1(ride comfort). The Caddy with 150k stock shocks(they were pretty bad), vs the Buicks sensatracs was about the same as far as how stiff it was, but the Buick is much more controlled. I also have anouther FE1 Buick with worn out shocks, and can say the thing is unstable. It floats ALL over the road. On the highway it kept bouncing around.

I was pretty amazed at just how controlled the SS's made my caddy. Definatly worth it to me. Since there was NO way I was spending for blistens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The beater is my only car and I have got to at least make sure she is in good mechanical shape. The roads are all to pieces here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> I can get KYB GP2's for $30 each, same with Monroe
> sensa-trac and monroe-matics. Monroe severe
> service are more expensive at 45 a piece.

Monroe SS will work on the B-Bodies but can be harsh (depends on you and what you like), the others will not last.

You can buy KYB GAJ (GasaJust) at Summit for $30 (last time I bought there) and they are second only to Bilsteins for me, and not as harsh as the Monroe SS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.