Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I start braking or going over road that isn't smooth I feel a grind/popping sensation coming from the front passenger side area. Also notice the same feeling when on the highway a getting on the off ramp. A friend told me it felt like the shocks were gone to hell.

Handling of the car is still good. Just that pop feeling sometimes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Umm...I'd stay off the highway, or any other road, until you can get it up in the air and see what's wrong...

Several nights ago I saw a car at a stoplight with what looked like a ball joint failure. Front corner of car was collapsed with the wheel tilted at an impossible angle. Lucky it happened at 2 mph and not 60.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh hell....Didn't even think about the ball joints but that sounds more reasonable than anything. Yeah I'm gonna try to get this fixed asap.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I had a pop/clunk from the front right on bumps or turns. It was caused by losing alignment shims when hitting a sink hole.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^^

Op take a look at the upper A arm front & back. there should be a stack of shims either end on the inside of the Arm

if you hit pot hole or something they can pop out
Haven't driven it since I posted but I have to drive back home tonight so I'll be as vigilant as possible. My roommate's dad has a full shop I can hopefully use this week to get a good look at it while its in the air. Can the shims be put back in or do I have to replace them if they're the cause of this.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
^^^^

Op take a look at the upper A arm front & back. there should be a stack of shims either end on the inside of the Arm

if you hit pot hole or something they can pop out
We have a WINNAR!

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Can the shims be put back in or do I have to replace them if they're the cause of this.
if shims came out it is not likely they are just sitting there so you need to replace. You would need to know how many shims were in to keep it like it was

you can put the car on a lift or just jack upthat side and remove tire and look. A arm is right there and you may just need to lift up the flap on fender well to look

Just take it to a alignment shop if they are missing as the alignment will be off without them and the correct # of shims used.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Btw after finally getting a look, I could tell the shims on the driver side upper A arm were there but one was shifted as if wanted to slide out. Didn't really see anything on right side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.