Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be doing full brakes, fuel senders, rear stab bar, bushings in rear control arms etc. Was planning on taking car of rust on frame and underbody at that time. Car has typical midwest rust on surfaces. No real rot, just rusty surface underbody in places (not all) and of course the rusty frame, diff, arms, etc. Final desire is to undercoat with a 3M or bedliner type of coating. This is not a show car, just need to prolong its life when it has to be driven in winter salt.

Question 1: POR-15 or Rust encapsulator? I am open to either.

Question 2: Does POR-15 stick to the existing underbody paint (roughened up of course) or only to prepped rust or bare metal?

Question 3: Should I attempt to coat all of the underbody with POR15 or just go after the rusty areas and deal with the nice cleaner areas with standard paint/coating processes.

Question 4: Final topcoating - bed liner or a 3M undercoat, or a wax/oil coating mix I hear about from time to time.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I use POR 15 and like it. My car was really clean underneath when I bought it so I took it to Cedar Valley Collision in Waterloo. He undercoated it for under $200. I would POR 15 everything you can and then do something like that. I have my interior out right now and I POR 15d the floors, sound deadened and then coated it in Herculinr bed liner. I have always just cleaned the surface and never had an issue with it sticking.
Where are you located in Iowa? -Brian

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Cedar Falls. Where are you?

Todd

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt mind touching base with you on the sound deadeners...this wagon is noisy. Is there local activity for impalas and roadmasters? I bought this roady wagon to be a sleeper and occasional tow vehicle back in 2005. I was a ride and handling engineer at GM in the 90s and vividly recall one of our training days at Grattan raceway in MI where the b-body lead ride and handling guy was one of the instructors. He told us he was gonna let us get out ahead in all of our Beretta GTZs and Achieva SCX W41s etc all of which had HO 180-190 hp quad fours (or roars as we called them). He reeled us in and passed us like we were in another class in his cop car package roady wagon. It got my attention and i knew I would be buying one someday.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess that I must be one of the few people that had a bad experience with POR-15. We used it on a 1942 Mercury and followed the instructions exactly as written and the crap just peeled off in large sheets. Determined to find a better solution, I bought a gallon of black Rustoleum and went to the local auto paint supply store and bought a pint of acrylic enamel activator to put in it. The hardener made the Rustoleum dry much quicker and more evenly and if you have ever used Rustoleum before, you know it will stick to anything (especially the stuff you don't want it to stick to!) Years later, the Rustoleum is still on the floor pans and frame of the old Mercury and the POR-15 coated areas have had to be repainted.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Reaboy, I sent ya a PM. We started a local INC chapter last year and are always looking for new members. You are more than welcome to come check out my sound deadening project in process .

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I've used both POR15 and Rustbullet. I prefer Rustbullet. The only time I've had POR15 peel off like described above is when applied to some smooth rust-free surfaces (may have been an issue with not being clean enough.. idk). Rustbullet is very similar to POR15 but I had less issues with bubbles forming and according to the label its not as sensative to UV rays as POR.

As far as top coatings. I used both 3m undercoating and topped that with spray can bedliner. I like bothvof them but the bedliner seemed a little more durable to chips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.