Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to por 15 my frame to keep it from rusting .. any pics of folk who have used the product before ?? i will also be doing the floor of the car when i change the carpets out..

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gracias

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this is exactly what i was looking for

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Comes in assorted colors, The speed shop I bought mine from had black, blue and gray. I think I saw white, not sure? I liked the grey at the the time but I did my trunk in black and like it better

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have used por 15 many times at work and on my own cars (my speed shop is an official vendor). I will be posting some pics of POR15'd sections of my 96 during my frame off resto I am working on soon.

Anyway, here is what I have to say on doing a frame. First, MAKE SURE to use the marine clean cleaner and METAL READY before painting. Following the steps POR 15 outlines to a T and using those products REALLY makes a huge difference as to how well it holds up. DOn't think that just because it is POR 15, it will stick and hold up like a rock, it wont without proper prep. When prepped right, the stuff is great though.

Next, I strongly recommend topcoating it even on things that you may not think see UV light. First, you might as well as a top coat like POR 15's blackcote or chassis black will provide even further protection from chipping. Second, I have always figured that UV rays can still find their way to certain parts and if you want the POR 15 to remain glossy after exposure to UV, multiple coats of topcoat is a must.

So in short, wire wheel all rust and old chipping paint off.
Apply marine clean then rinse off
apply metal ready then rinse off and let dry
paint with at least 2 coats of POR 15
topcoat with at least 2 coats of blackcote/chassis black or another paint of your choosing (but follow POR 15's directions on using other paints)

I am sure you will be very happy with the final outcome and it will last a hell of a long time while still looking great. Do it right and take your time, you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
i did the front part of the frame and front suspension although if you want a nice finish dont use the brush...

i bought the autozone brand degreaser and let it sit for a day and then i pressure washed it...

after

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I have used por 15 many times at work and on my own cars (my speed shop is an official vendor). I will be posting some pics of POR15'd sections of my 96 during my frame off resto I am working on soon.

Anyway, here is what I have to say on doing a frame. First, MAKE SURE to use the marine clean cleaner and METAL READY before painting. Following the steps POR 15 outlines to a T and using those products REALLY makes a huge difference as to how well it holds up. DOn't think that just because it is POR 15, it will stick and hold up like a rock, it wont without proper prep. When prepped right, the stuff is great though.

Next, I strongly recommend topcoating it even on things that you may not think see UV light. First, you might as well as a top coat like POR 15's blackcote or chassis black will provide even further protection from chipping. Second, I have always figured that UV rays can still find their way to certain parts and if you want the POR 15 to remain glossy after exposure to UV, multiple coats of topcoat is a must.

So in short, wire wheel all rust and old chipping paint off.
Apply marine clean then rinse off
apply metal ready then rinse off and let dry
paint with at least 2 coats of POR 15
topcoat with at least 2 coats of blackcote/chassis black or another paint of your choosing (but follow POR 15's directions on using other paints)

I am sure you will be very happy with the final outcome and it will last a hell of a long time while still looking great. Do it right and take your time, you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't!
+100000000000

You must be anal about this. Make absolutely sure the surface is dry and clean. I scrubbed for quite a LONG time on mine and still didnt get everything! I dont have a garage available so it was difficult. If you plan on brushing it, use a small foam roller in as many spots as possible. Also when you put the first coat on put it on very light, in some spots you should still see the metal underneith it should be that thinnly applied.

Im still learning the best way to use this stuff.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
My POR-15 Job I did on my 95 Caprice a few years back. The under side of the floorpan got coated with "3M Professional Grade Undercoating". Engine and Trans were removed before this job was done. BTW, "Easy Off Oven Cleaner" works well to strip of the factory wax E-Coating on the frame during cleaning and prepping for the POR-15.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
How is your POR15holding up B-body builder?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Here is POR 15 topped with 3m truck bed liner on my daily driver

holding up great through a long winter. The upper control arms I did with POR 15 then topped with blackcote. painted them in a big rush (snow storm was coming, had to get car back together) but even still I just wipe em down with quick detailer and they look brand new....even after huge chunks of rock salt and slush found refuge in them for weeks at a time.

Here is the underbody of my 96 I recently did.

Going to topcoat that in either blackcote if I want to keep the glossy finish or maybe the truck bedliner. haven't decided yet...gloss looks great, but it'll never stay clean under the car.

When done 100% right, trust me this stuff will hold up for a long time. When prep work is not so good, it will chip and peel just like anything. A frame is relatively easy to prep good though. Just long flat surfaces that are easy to hit with a wire wheel on an angle grinder.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
If you use a truck bed liner get a good one. Cheap duplicolor brand does not stick well to POR.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
those are great pics..

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
No Problems! The gloss will fade to a semi gloss color over the years unless you use the POR-15 Chassis Coat/Top coat in the final part of the original application process.
Yep, and any UV light, even reflection could whiten it at best, cause it to peel at worst (if it is really exposed) so I would always do a topcoat. POR15 Blackcote is what will give you a glossy finish over POR15 and will last and isn't sensitive to UV. Chassis black is more of a flat black. I have found 3m ceramic truck bed liner to stick very good over scuffed up POR15 too. You get the flat, uniform look of the frame section I posted above.

FWIW, POR 15 also told me that blackcote can be waxed/buffed out. I had a layer of blackcote on a section of frame on my 96 that I was testing out. After a year of shoveling salt/snow on it and leaving out in the sunlight it seemed to get a little dull. I waxed it with some carnuba wax and it went right back to glossy black.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yep ^^ what SSandman said ^^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts