·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine came with the car, just had to install. So im pretty pleased haha

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Congratulations, you just ruined a precision instrument.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I was about to say, epic fail lol From what I have heard, tuners have a lot of trouble working with ported MAF's getting the values to read correctly but I don't know too much about it i'll admit. But if you think about the way a hot wire or cold wire MAF works, it bases its values on the idea that the diameter of the tube is a particular size and there is a set value for how much air can flow through it at different speeds/densities.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
trust me it's calibrated for

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
trust me it's calibrated for
Doesn't matter. That big air foil in the middle wasn't there as a restrictor. It was a flow straightener. Your MAF is now less accurate, something a tune can't fully compensate for.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Gish has been running a ported MAF for years. I removed my foil, oh wait, Bryan removed my foil honeycomb years ago at a dyno session. Heck, you should see the maf Harris runs, that thing is thin to win. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn't matter. That big air foil in the middle wasn't there as a restrictor. It was a flow straightener. Your MAF is now less accurate, something a tune can't fully compensate for.
Appreciate the input. But I think ill risk it ;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Appreciate the input. But I think ill risk it ;)
If you're MAF is in-line with the TB, which yours is, then the path is straight just like the LS6 MAF setup that GM used on the Vette. So not having the screen is not a problem for you, just like it's not a problem for the Z06 Vette that also doesn't have the screen. You just need to calibrate the MAF tables in the PCM, which you apparently had done. IMHO, you got no worries.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Perfectly fine to remove the mesh if the MAF is inline with the throttle body. However, for anyone that may read this thread later, nobody should run a ported/polished MAF without getting a dyno tune, a mail order tune will not run right.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're MAF is in-line with the TB, which yours is, then the path is straight just like the LS6 MAF setup that GM used on the Vette. So not having the screen is not a problem for you, just like it's not a problem for the Z06 Vette that also doesn't have the screen. You just need to calibrate the MAF tables in the PCM, which you apparently had done. IMHO, you got no worries.
Thanks for the support :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts