Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen a couple of posts about cutting out a port in between the 6x9's and putting a fabed grill insert, well my questions is to the people who have done this. will that allow too much moisture to build up in the trunk making the trunk lid "sweat" onto speakers and other things in your trunk. i have noticed my trunk lid "sweats" when it REALLY cold and warm air gets back there, something about there are vents in the trunk to allow air to push out moisture or something, and they might be clogged. anyways i want to do this but i dont know if it will hurt or help, any suggestions?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hmmm... good question. :confused: I've got my rear deck ported and I did notice the trunk "sweating" on the outside but never really made the connection or thought too much about it until now. I haven't had anything inside the trunk get wet though... no moisture or condensation or anything that I could tell. You got me curious now though... anybody else??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problems here. Have you checked for leaks? If your system is beating really hard you can bend the trunk lid and it wont seal correctly. Happen to me about 2 years back. Just my .02

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i like it kinda loud, never thought i could bend the trunk from tho. gonna have to check into that, thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting read. Would it be possible to build some sort of catch device under the deck and add some desicant or something?

We use desicant bags where I work to keep moisture, condensation, and corrosion from attacking the flight hardware all the time.

Jayo... bent trunk lid? How much power were you pushing? Damn dog? I aint mad at cha. Just the way I like it.

I need to know before I add all the power and woofers ported through my rear deck. I did and have not had any of those problem in my Riviera. Hmm.

I got my installer from cali on standby. Looking to hook up the Impala sometime this spring. No. The music will not be up and running the way I like it for Daytona but it will have some tunes.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Dropped Fullsize:
Jayo... bent trunk lid? How much power were you pushing? Damn dog? I aint mad at cha. Just the way I like it.
Porting it thru the back deck is the only way to stop this from happening. Both times it happen to me the subs were in a pre-fab box pointing the subs right at the rear.

1st time,

2 Kicker comp vr's 15's on a BD1001 in a ez-db box

2nd time

3 Alphasonic 15's on a BXI2006D in a sealed box.

My deck lid is bent to hell and will need to be replaced. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the port in the rear deck. If it is sealed off correctly, you shouldn't get any condensation in the trunk. Speaking from experience, if you are getting condensation in the trunk, it is due to a leak in the trunk area, not from the cabin.

It is a much more effecient way to go for sound as well. It not only gives you all your bass but it also keeps your trunk in one piece, as JAYO can attest to that.... lol

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if i keep my subs in a sealed box, cut a big hole in the deck, im done? what kind of covers are there out there or is this totally fabbed from scratch? this topic intrigues me, im looking forward to it this summer but i want all the minor $hit worked out and the "what ifs" turned into "well, ifs" ya know?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on how you do it. If you just throw them in a box, and cut a hole in the rear deck, you'll still get trunk rattle but you'll hear your bass a lot better. If you port it through the rear deck, the size/depth of the port is important

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anybody know where to get the grill for the hole in the deck for when i do this?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by 9c1 lover:
anybody know where to get the grill for the hole in the deck for when i do this?
You have to make one!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dood, just get some mesh, or chicken wire, or just cut a damn hole in your momma's screen door.

It doesn't matter what you use as long as it does not restrict the air flow and don't look like *******.

Mine is a metal mesh, kind of looks like the mesh in our stock grills. Just make sure that if you go with a cloth-like material, you secure that s**t tight.... otherwise every time the bass hits, its gonna be floppin' like a used clit in the wind.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As J & John mentioned, a good seal would be preferred. I personally wouldn't use a screen - I'm no stereo guru but the screen can inhibit air movement and makes a difference.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a pic of mine. We had to repaint it b/c I don't know why, but it rusted....

But here it is. Its a metal mesh

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice, thanks guys, i dont know why i was drawing a blank on the subject, i guess cause i wasnt thinking about making one i was looking to buy one but, fabrication makes me think of some cool designs, again thanks

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whats the easiest way to cut the hole in the deck, remove the carpet and cut with a dremel or rotozip? any tricks or tips regaurding this before i get started?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
also would i need to enclose the back of the 6x9's so the front wave and back wave arnt caceling each other, seeing as how cutting a hole in the deck would open the trunk up, does that make any sense to anyone?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to go ahead and get my system a jump start and have a hole cut in my rear deck. I have just a plain sealed box in the trunk wth two 12's. Where can I find the shroud pieces at for a circular or square shaped hole. I figured if I go ahead a cut thee hole now, then I would be able to let out some sound from my existing subs which would be replaced with an box where the stock spare tire sits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts