Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How comman is it to find a standard posi on a civi caprice? What option package did it come with if any? tia

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Look at the SPID sheet on the underside of the trunklid. Look for G80, which is limited-slip differential.

Not sure how common this option was on retail cars.

Dave

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that all of the LT1 civilian Caprice sedans came with posi as part of the required package for the engine (sport suspension, etc.). The G80 was an option on the 9C1 cars, though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my 94 Civvie Caprice SPID, I have the following. Not sure if they came as part of a 'package'. Funny part was before looking at the SPID, I did a small power brake in the car lot to see if it had posi. Surprised the salesman to say the least ;)

B4U - PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, SPORT
GW9 - AXLE REAR, 2.93 RATIO
G80 - AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP
KD1 - COOLING SYSTEM, TRANS OIL
V08 - COOLING SYSTEM, HEAVY WTY
V92 - TRAILER PROVISIONS

Maybe the G80 had to be ordered in combo with the B4U or V92 RPPO, don't know. I bought it used.

Steve

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool that helps alot guys thanks!

P.S. cool website charlie!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks..I have to update the site with my 95 9C1 and with some great shots of my old Caprice cruiser from Real Stories of the Highway Patrol during a high speed pursuit that they taped during the "files" section of the show. The speeds during the taping were over 100, btw.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GW9 means that you have 2.93's. MaN I have to check. I always thought that g80 ment you had a posi with the 3:08...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BLACKJACK96:
GW9 means that you have 2.93's. MaN I have to check. I always thought that g80 ment you had a posi with the 3:08...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GU4 is the code for 3.08 gear.
G80 is strictly posi.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
posi!!!!!!!! love it. did a quick power brake out by the river at like 2 am. no one was around and my friend wanted to smell some rubber. hey charlie i remember that show! i looked at yer sig and was thinkin.. looks familiar. i can't remember much except the begining. got any video files of it?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah...I have some of the chase segments from the episode with my car. When I get a minute, I'll convert them to mpeg and post them.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't that seem weird that the G80 was more of a standard option on civi's than on 9C1's. My '94 9C1 was a factory 3.08 non-posi car. (but now it's a 3.42 posi car) :cool:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My civi 93 L05 Caprice has G80, and GU5, which is 3:23 posi. Gotta love a posi!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuzzychevy, it's not really strange. It is done for a reason. One wheel drive is much more forgiving in inclement weather, ie. snow and water. It is much easier to swap ends with a limited slip equipped car. You do however give up some acceleration with a "one legger".

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with CharlieS statement. My 96 LT1 Civi had the engine, suspension, and Posi as part of a package deal. This package is SPID code B4U. It includes a tranny cooler as well. My car also has the heavy frame. The best thing about the car was that I was able to purchase it at only 27K a couple years back. Black car, very straight, and it's loaded. Compared to my 94 9C1 it's a LOT less nickle dime repairs. I think they're worth looking at... a true sleeper mobile. I bought mine from a 78 year old!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts