Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 Caprice Classic and I was wondering if any of you might know.

Thanks,
Chris

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was optional. You can check your option codes or you can jack up your car so that both rear wheels are off the ground. Then turn one wheel by hand, if it turns by itself you do not have posi, if the other wheel turns in the opposite direction you do have posi.

Fletch

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isnt it if the other wheel turns in the opposite direction you dont have posi?
Dimitri

------------------
First base delete PVC pipe intake, drilled air box

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 95 9C1 that lacks the G80 option code. What exactly does a positraction rear end do, and why is it so desirable? Would it be worth the money to shell out the cash and buy an Auburn posi (I hear thats what GM used for OEM).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tirpitz's way is definitely the best and most accurate way to determine if you have posi, however, the other ways are look for the G80 which means you have posi, or you can block both front wheels, put the car in neutral with the engine off, don't set the parking brake, jack up the rear of the car by placing a sturdy strong jack under the differnetial (center it on there well). now go to either rear wheel, and turn it, the other rear wheel shoud turn in the same direction, if it does, you have posi, if it turns in the opposite direction or doesn't turn at all you dont have posi.

what posi does is sorat like the all wheel drive commercials you see, it transfers power form the wheel that slips to the wheel that grips, and if neither wheel is gripping then they both wind up getting equal power. It does have some margin of slippage included though (limited slip not no slip) becasue when you turn your car while its moving, the wheel on the inside of the turn moves slower and slower than the wheel on the outside, the degree of difference in rotational speeds is directly proportional to the tightness of the turn. People who dont do burnouts or drag race will never really need posi unless you live in an area with snow or rain and your tires wind up slipping. Drag racers like posi because they can essentially get twice the power to the rear axle when launching their car before losing traction. in the snow, you always see car stuck with one wheel spinning and the other wheel just kind of sitting there, and usually its the one on pavement, the spinning one is in the snow, posi will take the power away from the spinning wheel and give it to the other one. its the same in the rain. for those who do not drag race or to burnouts, posi makes it just a little harder to get the car stuck in bad weather, and for those who drag race, they can launch harder, and burnouts look cooler when both wheels are smoking and 2 patches of rubber are being left behind on the ground.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I was looking for is an option code for the posi and gear ratio.

Thanks,
Chris

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G80 is the code for GM cars

One question:
If you have limited slip posi then do you still leave two strips of rubber?
Dimitri

------------------
First base delete PVC pipe intake, drilled air box

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and what about for AutoXers? I really enjoy doing that. Would a posi rear end really help me out there? It seems like keeping more traction in ultra tight turns could be a good thing and a bad thing. If so its beginning to sound like my next mod...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You DEFINITELY want Posi for either drag racing or AutoX. A member out here was running his 94 9C1 without G80 (posi) in AutoX and it was definitely hurting his times (I'd guess by at LEAST 1-2 seconds on an "average" course) because he simply couldn't power out of the corners as much as the rest of us with Posi's.

The stock Auburn unit is only "mediocre". If I were buying a new one for a car with near-stock HP (say under 500 HP) I'd definitely go with the Zexel-Torsen unit. When my posi finally bites the dust (trust me, with all the use/abuse I've put it thru, I'm shocked it still works!) I plan on going this route. The ZT is about the same money as stock, and it's definitely a better design.

Ed

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i saw somewhere powertrax was making a setup for the 7.5" 10 bolt. isnt that what our cars have? got one of those lockers for my camaro, its supposed to work like an open diff until power is put to it, and it acts like a locker.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe some of the 91-93 Caprices (and SOME of the 94-96 L99 cars) came with the 7.5 and 7.625" rear ends. All of the 94-96 LT1 B-bodies came with the 8.5" 10-bolt rear end.

Ed

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the code for posi on all Gm cars is G80, lots of B bodies have lots of different axle ratios, I personally have GU4 which is the same ratio as the impala, 3.08:1, the ratio codes have always been the same too, just post all the codes beginning with G you have on you're SPID sticker in your trunk, someone will know whats up.

yes a limited slip posi leaves 2 patches of rubber, don't refer to them as strips, they're patches. limited slip and posi are the same thing, a locker is different, it is gear based, posi is clutch based, a locker locks 50-50 power to both axles, but some can unlock for turns, in which case one wheel gets power and the other can roll freely to avoid spinning out.

If you lay 2 patches but one seems to start before the other, or it lays one then the other, you're posi is wearing. My axle has 138k miles on it, original posi, and it lays 2 patches of rubber, that start in the same place. My car was a state trooper take home car, so the cop that had it wasn't a rubber layer, or a bad weather tire spinner, I have burned out the posi in my truck twice (that thing has a mountain of torque, I spin the tires in that thing by accident all the time) I have a feeling my camaro will have axle problems soon, my girlfriend drives it, and she can drive a six speed quite well, and she drives it hard, I think its wearing on it, I've heard that the LS1's are blowing those weak ring gears in the camaro's, but thats another story, the axle in my truck is unbelievably strong, it has held up to my abuse quite a bit. I think I'm gonna amke my girlfriend drive the 9C1 or the truck for a while though, I miss my camaro, I wanna drive it again, its absolutely loaded, every option except for the SS option, black, leather, t tops, power everything, I miss that top end highway terror

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the code on mine and it says G80, but I had to make sure. Last weekend was SLAMFEST in tampa, which is the biggest car/ truck show in florida. We were partying all night at the hotel for two nights and there was tons of people in the parking lot. A lot of people were cruising by either draggin frame, hittin switches, or burning out. There were a few impalas around, only about 4 at the show (94-96). Anyways, I got in my car with two of my friends and I did the baddesst burnout I've ever seen. I started on one end of the hotel powerbraking, after it was nice and smoky all over my car I let off the brake a little, just barely moving it started to get sideways so I stopped spinning and straightened out the car quickly. Then I slamed on the gas again and roasted my uniroyal 15's. I started moving again slowly and the car was in 2nd gear. Everyone was cheering me on but I couldn't really see much. When I stopped spinning my tires I had left 2 beautiful patches of rubber for about 300 feet and you couldn't see the hotel building. Some guy upstairs got it on video and it was awesome. I wish I had it on video for myself because that is a once in a year oppurtunity. Maybe you can see it next year. Anyways, thats my posi testing story.

------------------
SLMDCSS
95 Caprice Classic

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's some sweet a$$ posi testing. I'll go test mine out... er... for research purposes.... um... yeah, that's it....

I wonder if you get stopped by a cop for "show of acceleration" or whatever the name of that one infraction is, if you could get out of it by saying something about testing the posi.... I mean, it's not illegal to test your ABS on a rainy day and make a bunch of noise. It's for safety purposes... like mechanical testing... would you guys think the chances are good of getting out of a ticket by quoting the above procedure?

Alright, i just tested mine.... no posi in mine... damn...

[This message has been edited by UltraZone (edited November 07, 2000).]

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well last time i we testing out my posi-less car they called it reckless driving...Which I still dont understand cause i could not have been doing what i was doing without total control.

------------------
94 9C1 Caprice (ex-va trooper), Grey/Blue, No anntena holes or spot light ever!, 2 9C1 wipers, Fuel bib, Cargo net, LTZ hood omblem, TSI center console.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys can come here and test your posi and I'll just give you a warning

------------------
Steve S.
93 9C1
88 9C1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts