Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to swap a posi from an impala ss into my 96 RMW,which currently has 2.56 gears
Will the axle spline from my 96 RMW fit into a posi from a 96 impala ss .
I am asking cause the wagon axle is larger in diameter than an impala ss.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The posi spline count is the same. [30 splines]

The problem will be that you have to swap the gears too. 2.56 gears require a series 2 carrier, while 2.72 and up use a series 3 carrier. [Carrier= the posi unit]

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
You would be well advised to get an aftermarket posi. You will be doing the whole thing over again in the near future if you use a stock posi. If you are swapping gears, go to at least a 3.23 if you can find them. Anything less, and you are just wasting your hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The axles on the wagon are only bigger, at the outer wheel bearing.
Thanks- Thats what I needed to know.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You would be well advised to get an aftermarket posi. You will be doing the whole thing over again in the near future if you use a stock posi. If you are swapping gears, go to at least a 3.23 if you can find them. Anything less, and you are just wasting your hard earned dollars.
+1 :)
If you are going to pay for the labor of a gear swap, don't install the factory unit. Check around for a deal on a gear and diff package from one of the sites vendors, in the parts for sale section or even eBay.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are going to pay for the labor of a gear swap, don't install the factory unit. Check around for a deal on a gear and diff package from one of the sites vendors, in the parts for sale section or even eBay.
I am going to do the swap myself. Although I have never done gears it does not appear to be a difficult job.
I have all the tools required and a lift in my garage so I can do the swap sitting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts