Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my new AC Delco Battery Cable from Rock Auto. It’s designed for my 1995 Impala SS. I have a concern with the connector that goes on the fuse box near the fire wall on the passenger side. My original connector is a brass color with a little tab that makes it position correctly on the positive fuse box terminal. I read the cable can heat up and potentially catch fire? What is this problem? Should I be concerned with my new cable? My end connector is silver on all three ends (fuse, alt, Starter). I know my original connector at the fuse box was brass or something close. I have actually had a cable over heat there long ago when I was doing some work there some years ago. I never knew why the thing did what it did that night. It was shorted to ground but it wasn’t. Scared me. I thought I was going to lose my car. Is this because the silver connectors? Is my new cable connector (silver) going to be ok? Is my new cable going to catch fire because it’s not copper? Note: I’m assuming I can connect this new 3 cable to the fuse box from battery, starter from battery and alternator from battery with no problems? Why would the brass connector make this be a problem? Do I need to cut my new cable and splice my connector on or else fire? Hope you understand this situation correctly. Feedback needed. I have provided two pictures of the new Teipple positive cable both ends. And also two pics of the brass connector that went on the fuse box. I had the fuse box cable running directly to the alternator because I had that problem long ago. That’s why it’s not a battery connector 3 type. Long story anyway, just looking to see if any type over heating of the cable is going to happen because the cable has a silver connector, or why peoples cables were burning up.
379B10B6-CD65-46B0-A9FF-4EEEBA93D5B2.jpeg
CB0BD9B8-CDFF-4007-8CEE-601A64E3B9BF.jpeg
751ED368-DCFE-435C-93BE-D4A5E31FEAFE.jpeg
FC1B0303-624E-4BA5-A28E-D11B50DCA19C.jpeg

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
First google battery cable then select images. You will find many cables with shinny ends.

Second. Apply some critical thinking. Would a multi national company sell me a new replacement part that is dangerous?

Now for some mostly correct information.

Early top post and side post battery connectors were lead. It was cheap to form. More expensive ones are brass but this has to be machined so they cost a lot more. Most cheap modern cars use a stamped brass or copper part that is very thin.

The lug or bolt end is usually copper with a tin coat. Copper is a good electrical conductor but it oxidizes(rusts) easily which blocks electricity. The tin coating still oxidizes but works in the real world.

The same split loom you see in your engine compartment can be used to protect your battery cables. High temperature split loom is recommended as cheap stuff will melt if it gets close to the exhaust.

As to the cables being a fire hazard they are engineered to reduce most risks. A malfunctioning starter or alternator, or even a dead short will damage a cable(and other things) but normally the car will survive as the battery and alternator will be destroyed first.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To the original poster, do yourself a favor and buy the "big 3" cables from Gary @ http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=175

To Z09B4U I sure hope you don't actually believe that copper is going to rust..
I already finished up installing the stock replacement. I’m not sold on this monster cable as the car was designed for the replacement I purchased. It does not really matter what diameter the cable is. It depends what size strands are inside the cable as well. I’ve heard about this “big 3” people are talking about on the forum. Looks like a decent cable. At this time I’ll pass. I kind of wonder what size strands are inside that “big 3” cable? If it’s fine strand, it isn’t all it’s hopped up to be in my opinion. That stuff is made for audio. Just kidding because I don’t know, but like I said, I’ll pass.And, I kind of like my factory look under there. I also put my clips back on and the loom from the original cable.
A029C696-5C8B-4D8E-B3C0-4020739D8C6C.jpeg
AF2A6B76-8CBE-4E34-A794-29A1AEDCF539.jpeg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cranked right up no problems. Hopefully it stays that way without any cable overheating like people are saying around the forum. My car has the fuse box aux post that is brass (people say that’s good) instead of the silver metal one. If anyone wants to know what I’m saying or talking about, search auxilliary post on the search in the forum. Peoples boxes were melting I guess.
106EF44C-6C33-4EAB-921D-5A34A04BC08E.jpeg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I’ll do the big 3 one day after I learn more about the cables. I wonder if people route them exactly like stock? It’s pretty tight down there to the starter near the suspension area and that AC line. That one clip strap is a pain in the butt to remove and put back on. I did it but it took a while. That’s the thing too. I kind of turned away from the big 3 because it don’t seem like it will fit the way the original is routed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts