Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening guys, I havent posted a whole lot (really at all) on here since whenever I have an issue I search it and can usually find an answer in an old thread; either that or my mechanic or my boys help me out. Right now I cant find a good answer from my boys and havent talked to my mechanic yet, and cant find this issue in another thread.

Alright so on with my problem. For about a week or so I have noticed when I accelerate I can hear a clicking noise coming from my rear, sometimes I experience hesitation in acceleraton also at speeds between 20 and 40 mph. Also we had a bad rain here last week on Tuesday or Wednesday and while i was driving home in the mess i experienced jerking coming from the rear about 3 times within 45 mins to an hour (have not experienced this before or since that day).

Now on Friday i had to take off the passenger side section of tail pipe because the weld was so rusted it broke and was left hanging about a half an inch from the ground, also the muffler on that side is craked at the outlet to the tailpipe (getting this fixed this weekend). In doing so I noticed that the differential has a greasy residue on it and looks like the bottom of a five guys bag. I was told all i need to do is add oil and change the gasket, but with the other issues im worried it is a little more than just that.

Any ideas what going on? Oh yeah and i have a 95 SS.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Depending on how low the rear-end fluid is, you could be feeling the posi slipping...while at the same time you are probably wearing the hell out of it. Pop the cover, clean it oit out, new gasket & fluid and DON'T forget the GM posi additive.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright cool hopefully that'll do it. I have the fluid and posi additive, just waiting on the gasket to come in on thursday so I can get this worked out. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Make sure the gasket has the holes on the sides. I'm sure there is a pic somewhere on here of the correct gasket. YW

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I wound up getting a felpro gasket from az since that was the one I saw w the holes. Replaced the gasket and fluid yesterday and put on my zq8s since i had it jacked up. Drove to work today and everything was gravy. Smooth riding and no more sound or jerking from the gears.

I'm curious though, what difference would I notice with 3.73s and what's the advantage?

· Registered
8,013 Posts
Night,and day difference w/3.73's. That's why so many of us have them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.