1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Thats a T56...I'm pretty sure Tremec bought Borg Warner...or the T56 design from Borg Warner. Either way, it's the right trans...definitely an LT1 style, and it has the slave cylinder spacer that can be hard to find still attached to the bellhousing.

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
The T56 was designed, and built, by Borg Warner. The design was bought by Tremec later.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
$1k for the T56 + the F-body pedals is a good deal...

those trannys typically see some hard driving so it may need some repairs (3-4 shift fork & syncros) but even if you had to put $600 more you would have a good deal.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I looked at that.that's a good deal, if it was closer to me I'd bought it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Contacted the seller, should be picking it up this afternoon. Once again thnx for the intel guys. Also, is there a rebuild kit or something for these trannys. One of my friends works for GM and I'm pretty sure he would be able to overhaul.

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
You don't "need" an Al driveshaft with T56s and 4.10s. I still use a stocker.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Just get a Denny's driveshaft, he is close to you, if I remember correctly. His price may seem high, but the speed that it is balanced at can't be beat. With the change in gears you always run the risk of having potentially bad vibrations. You are already going to drop a pretty good chunk of money for the installation, so you might as well not cut cost's and trust someone else's work on used components. Just saying it has been beaten to death across the forum about this install and pitfalls that you will find, just trying to give you a leg up on the install. I am currently in the process of installing another T56 myself and the gentleman that I am doing it for isn't cutting any cost, what so ever. You did good on the trans, that is for sure. My guy got screwed in his deal, paid for a rebuilt from a douche on Craigslist and had to have it rebuilt anyway. Just some food for thought, drop me a pm if you need help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just picked up all the goodies from the seller. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again for all the good info. Also, Mike thanks for throwing me a line.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
You don't "need" an Al driveshaft with T56s and 4.10s. I still use a stocker.
if in your case the stock DS holds up to the higher RPM's without vibe....great. I, and assume most who did go with aftermarket DS, did so because the "stock" DS was the source of driveline vibes (lower rear end gears). I also had my stock one "balanced" which did help but not enough.

My $02 is certainly try the stock shaft on a gear swap but my bet is a aftermarket one (read larger diameter) is something that needs to happen. "Rotational Mass" is = part of the equation as is 'balance" at high RPM's in a good DS.

Denny's has proven to be a solid source for a great DS for those of us running 3:73 and lower gears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts