Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there was a car driving below speed limit and kick it into WOT to make a good pass. it was strong and kept going. when i came to a stop the car just shut off on me. i could restart it if i give gas but it pick up really loud and sound like a muffler and i have the stock muffler and resonator. very heavy fuel odors and white smoke puffing out the exhaust. i dont have much power to move the car. is it possible that the rev probably went high and hit the valve? i didnt catch how high the rev went but i believe i drop the gear down at 1st around 25mph.:(

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im thinkin of doing a compression test. but it's a headache. just want to know if it could be something else. no check engine light. car was running fine

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Is it missing? If it is check the cap and rotor condition on the opti spark if it has never been changed

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
99% sure it's something else.

25MPH in 1st isn't going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Broken rotor ? White smoke isn't a good thing, that usually means coolant getting into the cyclinder's.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
head gasket? Blown trans? loose nut behind airbag?

Will the car idle. If so, does it come off idle smoothly, or does it stutter. Does it backfire(buffeting sound through intake). Could be as simple as the intake tubing came loose.

Chris

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it sound like its missing. new sparkplug NGK and spark plug wires. this car has 150+ miles (cant tell exact cuz of the camaro cluster) i dont think any optispark ever last that long so it's possible that it been replace before. how would i go about checking if it's the optispark without removing them?

i could go outside and start her up in 2-3 second while holdin my foot on the gas but i have to let it off gently to bring it down to idle or it will stall. white puff smoke and heavy fuel odor comes out from the exhaust.

also when i REV the engine the RPM climb naturally. it's doesn't hesitate and it sound like a CLACKING exhaust muffler. i will upload a video

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Broken rotor ? White smoke isn't a good thing, that usually means coolant getting into the cyclinder's.
car didnt overheat, and i could leave it running for a while the car wont shut down or act different.

Fuel Pump is brand new as of july 2010 delco

·
Registered
576 Posts
Check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull of the vacuum line and look for any sign of fuel and/or smell of fuel.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to look for any fuel pressure regulator issues [eratic, high, etc....]

Pull your engine oil dipstick and smell for a fuel odor.

Sounds fuel related [rich], likely the above or stuck injector, plug not firing.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Could've grenaded the rotor inside the opti. I went WOT once and the car backfired and coasted to a stop. Tried to restart it, and it acted like it was only running on 2 cylinders, dumping raw fuel through the exhaust. Took the opti apart and found that one of the screws came out and cause the rotor to tear itself apart.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could've grenaded the rotor inside the opti. I went WOT once and the car backfired and coasted to a stop. Tried to restart it, and it acted like it was only running on 2 cylinders, dumping raw fuel through the exhaust. Took the opti apart and found that one of the screws came out and cause the rotor to tear itself apart.
i pray your right. im going to get on top of this right now and check out the rotor. be right back.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
small update. the car was park on the side of the house and i was able to move it into the driveway to pull the optispark out. the car drove fine. when i pulled up the drive way i rev it up to around 3,500rpm to see if i have any white smokes and i still do but not as huge like before. i shut it off and saw wet spray on the floor coming out from the exhaust. i wipe the floor with my hands and it smell like gas. car idle fine no misfire. im going to pull the optispark now.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
missing my FUKin plier to remove the hoses off the waterpump. i think i left it at a friend house. i did some other check up. my hands are clean and when i pulled the oil stick i could smell fuel odor temporary. i smell my hand so i know it's my coming from the fuel earlier so i definitely got some fuel in my oil pan. what is this?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Of course you have fuel in the oil. If you're running so rich you can smell the exhaust, you're going to get fuel in the oil, too.

Can you datalog? Could be an out of range O2 sensor or ECT sensor.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
i dont have an ECT sensor anymore. i bought a new one and the gauge on my dash still wasnt workin. so instead of running the wire back to the dash for any damage i had an autometer engine temperature gauge that i hooked up and used instead.

cant really datalog but i could FREE SCAN program that shows the basic. ill upload soon

Attachments

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
woke up extremely early in the morning (6 something to be exact0 she start up better. i think it's because im doing a cold start. i let it idle for a good 13 mins to jump a corolla that was next to her and notice gas spray out the exhaust and below the muffler.

later in the afternoon i begin to remove the waterpump,airbox bracket (forgot throw this out when i did the airbox delete), remove the belt then the crank pulley. i notice the optispark had a huge crack on the top. cant tell if it's OLD or FRESH damage. dont know if it's the cause of my problem.

so i decided to take em apart and spend the next 45 mins tryin to get the screw off the optispark using the screw on my throttle body.

hmmmm.... and...

hmm...

now i know it's time to replace the rotor and cap but it would be wise to replace the whole optispark. i need to be SURE that this is the cause of my problem so i know what im really getting into.

would this cause my car to run very rich and heavy fuel odor out the exhaust with white smokes?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Lol, what happened to the rotor, did you remove it before you took pics? Or did it decide to bail out the side of the cap? cwm2

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol, what happened to the rotor, did you remove it before you took pics? Or did it decide to bail out the side of the cap? cwm2
the screws were still attach. i notice inside the center of the rotor also has some burn mark. and at the edge of the rotor some burned too.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Well I would think the huge crack in the cap would have quite a negative effect on how it ran... I'd go ahead and replace the whole opti if it were me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts