Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OMFG!!! this cam is unf*cking believable. wow!! i thought it would be similar to the cc 305 cam that i had but this thing is like nite and day. it has a nice low end, strong mid range, and pulls crazy stupid hard after about 4000 rpm. i took the car out about 10 miles 5 miles city and the other 5 miles highway and this cam is incredible. i believe that this is the cam that should have come in this car from the factory. i swear if it werent acting like it was gonna die on me sitting at a stop light, i would leave this 2500 stall in there. im hoping the 3000 stall will stop it from surging and acting like its gonna cut off at a light because when i put it in neutral, it idles perfectly fine. im dropping it off tomorrow to get this check engine light erased and to get the converter swapped. im tired of turning wrenches right now and my garage is a mess. thanks to all that have provided me with helpful advice and insight, opinions, etc. you all were great motivators. my recommendation to anyone looking for a great all around cam is the comp 503. it was well worth all the headaches. heading to the dyno hopefully thurs or friday.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'd like to see your dyno graphs when you get them. My cc503 was nice up to about 4600 , then it seemed to fall away. It had nice midrange, but no top end.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
No Video yet???

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I'd like to see your dyno graphs when you get them. My cc503 was nice up to about 4600 , then it seemed to fall away. It had nice midrange, but no top end.
You either need new valve springs (I think you're getting valve float) or you need higher flow fuel injectors (running out of fuel at higher RPMs.....but I doubt it).

OMFG!!! this cam is unf*cking believable......i thought it would be similar to the cc 305 cam......
Noooooo.......the 503 is a stronger cam for a natural aspirated engine....the 305 is much more suited for a Turbo or Supercharger.

Also.....you might want to give a tiny bit of the credit for increased performance to the other upgrades (heads & exhaust) that tossed on the car ;) .

Congrats!! Lot of work, but at least you did it and have reaped the benefits :) !

KW

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I shifted my CC503 at 6200 and it still felt like it was pulling at the shifts.
Yes!

My (High-Lift) 503 pulled strong (SOTP) to about 6600 RPMs.....even though the dyno showed that it peaked at about 6400 RPMs.

KW

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I am thinking of going with the 503 as well. I have the 502 and really dont like it. -Josh

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I am thinking of going with the 503 as well. I have the 502 and really dont like it. -Josh
What exactly do you not like about the 502 cam?

And what else have you done to the car?

What I'm getting at is, It might not be the cam.

KW

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No Video yet???
Nope no vid yet. I was gonna get one this morning but i wanted to drive it so bad and its starting to run better and better the more miles i put on it. The check engine light went off too. Anyways i took it to get converter swap and they talkin $500. Screw that i can do other stuff with that money. Im gonna tackle it myself probably this weekend. Never done it before so it will be an experience! Wish me luck on that. Also gettin ready to tq check my heads an header bolts since its had a few warm-up and cool-down cycles. Also gonna tq check the intake manifold, water pump, and hub centerbolt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
cams

i was told i should have gotten that cam over the 305 but it was to late . my car runs pretty good with it but going custom ground next time . But what would u rate the two cams on a scale of 1-10?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was told i should have gotten that cam over the 305 but it was to late . my car runs pretty good with it but going custom ground next time . But what would u rate the two cams on a scale of 1-10?
well since i installed the 503, i gotta put it at a 10 mostly because it works well with my car with how i drive it. i think its the absolute most i would run on the street though because it drives just like my car did stock. hell to be honest with you other than the lopy idle and the slight surging from a stop, i can barely even tell that i have all the stuff done to it. i dont know if its how well pcmforless did the tune or if those are just the manners of the cam. the 305 compared to this one is a 5 at best. mostly because it was a little harder driving it on the street. now mind you these are my personal opinions and others may feel differently. kw said earlier that the 305 is built for turbo or supercharger anyways so i guess if i had one of those two then it would have felt and driven a whole lot different.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Comp 503 Video--Open Header

Here is a crappy vid I took right after I installed my engine:

Comp 503
Tri-Y Headers
Ported F-Body Heads

No tune in vid, rattling noise is from the open header collector clamps.

The 503 is a great cam, I've got a couple hundred miles on it now but need some gears to compliment my setup.

·
Registered
133 Posts
is there a huge difference between the cc503 and the LT4 Hotcam?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Is this in a 350? Also are you running 3/8" or 7/16" rocker studs?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this in a 350? Also are you running 3/8" or 7/16" rocker studs?
Yeah it is. When i got the car the guy said it had been gone through and bored to a 355. I was doubtful at first because it didn't run like that. When i went into the motor, it looked like it was gone thru but i measured it and its still got 4.00" bore. And im running 3/8 studs with 1.6 comp pro mag rockers with trickflow pushrods and factory lifters.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
is there a huge difference between the cc503 and the LT4 Hotcam?
The HOT cam is very close to the cc502 cam.....so yeah, the cc503 is definately a step up.

Both the HOT cam and the cc502 cam have 218* Int and 224* Exh duration and a 112* LSA.

The HOT cam has .525" lift Int & Exh, the cc502 cam is about .528" Int and .536" Exh.....this is with 1.6 rockers.

But the HOT cam has 3* advance in the grind where-as the cc502 (& 503) cam have 4* advance.....so the HOT cam is weaker for torque than the cc502 but pulls stronger going into the 6K range and will make more peak HP.

All told, I'd say that the cc502 cam is a better choice in a B-body than the HOT cam.

KW

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Yeah it is. When i got the car the guy said it had been gone through and bored to a 355. I was doubtful at first because it didn't run like that. When i went into the motor, it looked like it was gone thru but i measured it and its still got 4.00" bore. And im running 3/8 studs with 1.6 comp pro mag rockers with trickflow pushrods and factory lifters.
Check your studs for flex. With 3/8" and 1.6 rockers you'll be stressing those small diameter studs especially on the top end.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love my cc503 cam...awesome I would have loved to use a custom grind from lloyd to match the heads . but had from before.. I cant complain with the cc503 its great..My idle was prefect with tuning while in drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts