Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power antenna is not working. I can hear the motor antenna motor running but the antenna will not go up or down, also makes a thumping sound when the antenna wants to go down. Is there a fuse I can pull that will disable the pwer antenna without effecting anything else? If there is, will iI still get reception? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yep. Under the hood in the fuse box there is one for the antenna. I have the exact same problem; motor works, antenna doesn't. Reception will not be affected.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Check with member "Fred Kiehl" who I think can repair/excahnge this for you. There are also some threads here if you want to attempt a repair yourself but they can be tricky.

There is a good thread on the Cadillac forum on how to do this. I'll post a link if I can find it quickly.

Here ---->> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/169176-how-rebuild-power-antenna.html
Yeap, that is the one I have re-hosted too. I found the a good article on here on how to remove it. http://www.grail-ss.com/PowerAntennaR&R.htm

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Another option...There is a weather-pac plug that you can disconnect. If you look behind the inner fender under the hood you should be able to see it. In the winter I usually let my ant come up a few inches, then unplug it. This way it isn't trying to go all the way up and down through the icy season.

If it is all of the way down in the fender, reception could be affected...depends on your area, how far away the station is, etc. For the station that I prefer it is affected, but having the ant just above the fender does the trick and it's low enough to not get hurt in a car wash.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My mistake. It was the weather pak right behind the fuse box that I disconnected. Sorry, it's been a while since I've done that. I know it can be repaired, but I'm just not motivated to do the R/R on that thing. It's stuck in the "up" position, so I'm fine until someone decides to bend it out of the way for me.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
My mistake. It was the weather pak right behind the fuse box that I disconnected. Sorry, it's been a while since I've done that. I know it can be repaired, but I'm just not motivated to do the R/R on that thing. It's stuck in the "up" position, so I'm fine until someone decides to bend it out of the way for me.
If someone breaks your antenna, you will not be able to find a mast to repair it. They are no longer available anywhere except a junkyard. I have seen 2 good masts in the yards in the last 6 months, and I go to the yards on at least a weekly basis. I would like to encourage you to either put the mast down, or repair the unit yourself. It would be a shame to have some nitwit vandal break a difficult to find part. The price on masts is going to go way up in the near future, because of the unavailability.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've tried to encourage the antenna to go down, but meet resistance (kinda like my wife) so don't want to force it. Maybe after I get my truck running and out of the garage I can get around to it. Only room for one project at a time.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
Any aftermarket antenna will require a custom fit. I have seen some in the junkyards, but I do not know what brand they were. The cables are still available to repair an OEM antenna, but the mast itself is no longer available. If you can find an antenna in a junkyard car that has a good mast, it can still be fixed. I have a couple of good masts, that are awaiting a cable to repair them. I charge $110 for one repaired. If you find two good ones, buy them, so that you have a spare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts