Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can an SS run into the 13's or high 12'3 without going into the motor. I understand my drive train will have to be delt with like my tranny and rear end. If I do go in the motor i may only do some head work like adding some rockers and springs that will unlock the extra power from my stock cam. I like how smooth my car idles and dont want to have that heavy idle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can an SS run into the 13's or high 12'3 without going into the motor. I understand my drive train will have to be delt with like my tranny and rear end. If I do go in the motor i may only do some head work like adding some rockers and springs that will unlock the extra power from my stock cam. I like how smooth my car idles and dont want to have that heavy idle.
What do you mean by not going into the motor?? Are you saying no bolt-ons? or internal mods like a cam?? It takes alot of money/ research to get these cars into the 13's, 12's are even harder. With a 2600rpm stall, shorty headers, cold air intake, 3.73 gears, exhaust, and the cc502 I was only able to run low 14's. Do research, if I had this site when I first bought my car I would have done alot of things differently. I would of done things right the first time instead of having to spend more money to correct bad choices.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talkin bolt-ons. I really want to supercharge it though. The cheapest kit i saw was about 5000. i think if i spend that kind of money on my motor itself it should be faster than addind a supercharger.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Here is the link for the 1/4 mile times.

http://www.top-et.com/impalass/

A few people got there Impalas into 12s with just bolt-ons. It will require weight reduction, slicks, high stall converter, etc.

My Caprice ran 13.59 @ 101 with just bolt-ons on street tires (BFG KDW) in late fall. The 60' was somewhere between 2.05 and 2.10. No real weight reduction besides an aluminum driveshaft and headers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't have a SS, but my 9C1 has broken 13s, barely, with just bolt-ons. I'd say full intake, full exhaust, a good tune, and gears esp really help out these cars.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i knew there had to be a few people who made it happen. thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked out that et page and im impressed. There are a few b bodies running in the mid and high twelves with pretty much a good tune, stall, gears and wieght reductions.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
It all cost money but this will work

Add
1.6 Rockers
3.73 Gears
3200 or better yet a 3600rpm converter
Hoosiers, or ET's
Bryan Herter Tune

To get into the 12's you will need to lighten the car 800lbs.

That is the cheap way
Forget about asking a passenger along.

D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like ill be adding that supercharger to the mix after all. If I want those 12s without stripping of parts.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
i ran 12's with a 100 shot and full bolt-ons with my wagon. FWIW

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Im talkin bolt-ons. I really want to supercharge it though. The cheapest kit i saw was about 5000. i think if i spend that kind of money on my motor itself it should be faster than addind a supercharger.
Do not correlate gain in performance with the amount of money spent. Also do not correlate part cyclic life based upon dollar spent either.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts