Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I just bought a 1995 Fleetwood Brougham from a smaller dealership via eBay - super nice people. I got the car here - shipped. I am having problems getting the driver's seat to move back and forward properly. Only one side of the seat will go back and forth, the right side (towards passenger) moves, the left(closest to the driver's door) does not. I have checked for obstructions and do not see anything on the left (closest to the driver's door) track. So, the seat will twist lol a bit then stop.

I am unsure of when this started. I think it is possible that the driver for the shipping company either had the unfortunate luck for it to quit on him or he did something to it. He was RAIL think at maybe 5'2 in shoes. The seat is pulled up VERY far. Now, I am 5'11 235 LBS so I am a bit of a big boy. It is a little embarrassing - my belly almost rubs the wheel LOL and my legs cramp trying to drive it - not to mention this is probably unsafe.

I went out and adjusted the seat to the highest position possible and started messing with the cable to the driver side. It looks slightly pulled out from the plastic piece on the track that connects on the seat track with the worm gear. I was able to get the seat to move forward LOL, but now it won't go back no matter how I twist. I created a video and here are some pictures. Any ideas folks? I have not messed with power seats that much.
Thanks!

Video here - please excuse me a bit - my mom passed not too long ago and I am still scattered:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Congrats on snagging the car, but sad to hear about your mom. I've never had trouble with the seats in any of mine, but have heard occasionally about broken slides, so you may want to search that. You done did good work on the vid and laying out the problem, and hopefully gives worthy payoff with the exact fix.

There's a strong possibility repair will require (or at least be made 1000 times easier by) yanking the seat. If this ain't your daily driver (yet) then you'll be able to do some power testing and checking things faster - for a headstart when that real smart guy posts exactly what's wrong. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on snagging the car, but sad to hear about your mom. I've never had trouble with the seats in any of mine, but have heard occasionally about broken slides, so you may want to search that. You done did good work on the vid and laying out the problem, and hopefully gives worthy payoff with the exact fix.

There's a strong possibility repair will require (or at least be made 1000 times easier by) yanking the seat. If this ain't your daily driver (yet) then you'll be able to do some power testing and checking things faster - for a headstart when that real smart guy posts exactly what's wrong. ;)
Thank you! Yeah, it was terrible about mom - I could write a page of text, phew - still hurting so so so badly.

I have always wanted one of these cars - finally was able to buy one! I am just having trouble figuring out how to get that cable back into the seat. I hope I did okay with the video, I was trying to show and I wish I could have captured it - but I did fiddle with that cable and I got it to move forward but that was it:grin2: Now I feel like if I get in it and drive I will be like Darnyl on Christine - if you have seen the movie you know what I mean:grin2:

I have no problem pulling the seat, she is not daily yet - not sure where I will take her. I am thinking weekends and maybe one day a week to work. I have some very small cracks in the top that I am going to seal, then I am going to clean it really well, and paint the top as it is sunbleached. The car is beautiful to me - it needs some things, she is an older lady, but just like wine and woman - cadillacs get better with time.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
.....she is not daily yet - not sure where I will take her. I am thinking weekends and maybe one day a week to work. I have some very small cracks in the top that I am going to seal, then I am going to clean it really well, and paint the top as it is sunbleached. The car is beautiful to me - it needs some things, she is an older lady, but just like wine and woman - cadillacs get better with time.

IDK what you're driving now, but get to attending to the customary mods for this car and it'll soon become your daily. It started to sound like you have a vinyl roof, - until that part about repainting. If really vinyl, then consider the immense upgrade of eliminating it altogether. There's perfect paint underneath and only holes around the back window to patch plus repair the haphazard bondo slathered in the sail panel seams at the factory. You'll want to get a JY vinyl delete back window with the correct surround moulding too.

"cadillacs get better with time." All except the suspension. Replace all the front end components even if lo-miler (age), and the big fat cow can easily take firmer shocks. And lord get bigger wheels and tires. And any aftermarket LCAs and SS bars FTW. It only gets wor-, - better from there. :grin2:

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
I have a seat track with all motors I would let go of for $35 plus shipping. The only part I do not have with it is the tilt back motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts